Hydrolized chicken ok for chicken allergy?

donetta

I’ve had mixed answers from people IRL as well as the clinic. Those of you w/ dogs allergic to chicken—have you tried food with hydrolized chicken and have positive outcomes?

@donetta Hydrolized chicken is fine for the vast majority of dogs with a chicken allergy.

My vet dermatologist said she sees like one in twenty chicken allergic dogs (already very rare) have an issue with something like Hills z/d. Those dogs she just switched to Royal Canin HP, Royal Canin PR, or Hills d/d.

Purina Derm is another option; there are a few others.

@donetta Another Rx hydrolyzed diet that you may ask your vet about trying would be Royal Canin Ultamino. It can be a game changer for relief of both GI and skin symptoms. It was quite helpful for a dog of mine who struggled with IBD. It's a bit more expensive than HP, but very much worth the extra expense if it helps to resolve symptoms in your dog. I hope that you can find something that will help.

@sevilodorf Not sure to the extent of the chicken allergy, but PPP also has a hydrolyzed vegetarian option as well. We used that one on my lab several years ago. She was allergic to chicken and rice, and that worked wonders for her.

@donetta Yes safe! My last pup had a chicken allergy and was on a hydrolyzed chicken food. The vet explained to me that the hydrolysis process breaks the protein down so much that the body doesn’t recognize it as an allergen.

@donetta I was told that about 40% of dogs allergic to chicken will still react to the “partially” hydrolyzed foods like Purina HA. But “fully” hydrolized like ultimino are usually ok. I don’t have research to back that up, but they did. (I just can’t find the link anymore) My chicken allergic dog did fine on partially hydrolized.

@donetta Worth a shot but my dog can’t handle it. We get fruit and veggie toppers from bark box and pb/banana treats because i feel so bad feeding her the unflavored pellets but she’s a bulldog and couldn’t care less what she eats

Back