Hurtta Extreme Warmer - Will my dog be TOO warm?

praen4you

I have a long-haired ACD. Our winters get around minus 20 celcius, and she is fine without any jacket whatsoever when we go for walks. She's loves the snow/cold.

But we go backcountry camping in the fall and sleep in a tent overnight. There's no electricity or heat source, and there's only so much space/weight I can carry. Temperatures will get as low as 0 to minus 5 overnight. I notice she starts to get chilly around the low single digits (5ish celcius). She doesn't shiver, but she will curl up to keep herself warm.

When it's minus 20 in the city, we're only outside for 30 minutes and we're constantly moving. But while camping, she'll be laying still in the tent for several hours overnight. There's no relief from the elements, we're outside in the forest 24/7.

Based on the above, would she overheat in the Extreme Warmer? I bought both the Hurtta Extreme Warmer and the Hurtta Expedition Parka. I don't care about the cost, I just want the option that will make her the most comfortable overnight in a tent at the 0 to minus 5 range. There will be plenty of ground insulation, I'm more concerned about the air temperature.

Would the Expedition Parka be more appropriate, or should I go with the Extreme Warmer?

Obligatory puppy tax

@praen4you Nice moon photo, telescope photo? Or camera lens around 600mm all the MP and crop?

For dog warmth I would just bring a towel to dry her off and clean her paws at the end of the day and let her in the bag with you. Ours always ends up under our blankets at home and when we’re camping too. But we usually call it quits for camping once the nights are below 9 or 10.

As an after thought if that’s not your thing or you don’t want to expose your bag to claws and dirt and sand (totally understandable) I would just bring some extra blankets for at night and just cover her with them. Kid blankets are good sizes for heelers and if she shrugs them off you know she’s alright.

@dogdad89 Thanks, it was taken at 240mm with my R7, cropped further in post.

Blankets and sleeping bag aren't an option. Her choice, not mine. I'll bundle her up, but she moves around and it doesn't stay on her. It's fine most of the time, but when it's below 0, I can't take the risk. I'm going with the Extreme Warmer or the Expedition Parka, just not sure which one is most appropriate.

Kid blankets are good sizes for heelers and if she shrugs them off you know she’s alright.

The temperature doesn't stay consistent. She may shrug it off when it's 5 degrees when we get in the tent, but then the temperature will drop significantly overnight.

@praen4you That explains it, crop sensor and 32MP. I have an R6 mkii and the full frame is awesome for low light etc but it’s only a 26MP so I can’t crop too much.

Yeah good points about the temperature. Fluctuations and her shrugging stuff off. I’d probably go with whichever fits better or she hates less. If there’s a pet store that has them locally I’d try them on and see which fits better and has better ergonomics for dressing her in it.

@dogdad89 I've already purchased them both. They both fit perfectly and she is very easy going, she doesn't mind either. I'm going to return one, the decision right now purely comes down to which is the most appropriate based on her natural coat and the camping temperatures.

Take a look into Topaz AI. 26MP is still plenty of room to crop, and the sharpening from Topaz will give you lots more flexibility as well.

@praen4you I use topaz actually, I shoot a lot of birds and I find it does weird things to their feathers. I’ll give it another go.

Sorry I wasn’t able to be more help.

Back