How to tell if pregnant

metatronscube

Our mother Mini Schnauzer has had two litters. Her daughter now 2 years old saw a new beau 23 days ago and we got two ties. Her nipples seem to have gotten larger since then. My vet says wait for 30 days then X-ray. We wish to start higher protein sooner. Any suggestions?

@metatronscube Ultrasound can detect as early as 22 days, but it is considered more reliable at 25-30 days. Radiographs (x-rays) can detect as early as 42 days, but is considered more reliable after 45-48 days.

@metatronscube At 30 days, you can ultrasound. A good indicator for me is the nipples will 'pink up' - be visibly pinker than her belly. Some go off food or get sleepy. I personally do not switch my bitches feeding routine or type. I do offer more (in quantity and frequency) the last 2 weeks or so of gestation. I usually x-ray around 55 days for puppy count.

@zackwetzel She seems to be eating much more and more frequently. (We free feed.) Maybe more water, but that could be due to the more frequent kibble. She doesn't seem to be sleeping more frequently. All three girls sleep in the front room waiting as vigils for some nefarious to pass the street. She is the most vigilant and usually barks first. Then the others join in.

Her nipples also seem to be more prominent now.

@metatronscube her appetite should not be increasing, although I have no way you would know if it is just more spaced out or if she is actually consuming more, with a free feed routine. You will know for sure in a few weeks

@metatronscube We don’t change a bitches food once she’s bred. It can make the puppies to big because all the food goes to them once they are pregnant. We just make sure they go into pregnancy at the right weight then just feed them a normal meal.