How to know to keep or to rehome?

2ndcovanent

So I was in a stable position in life and career(or so i thought). I decided to adopt a rescue (she was found as a stray shelter had no paperwork) 4 months ago. I did not take this lightly or "on a whim" as i had spent several months readying my place. She fit perfect with my lifestyle and the job's 3rd shift hours worked really well with exercise, dog parks, etc. Got a breed test done and found out shes a 1yo Heeler Border collie Mix.

Unfortunately I lost my main job w/o any notice 6-7 weeks after the adoption and now i run 2 part time jobs with chaotic scheduling for my dog. There are many days I come home too exhausted or have to jump into bed because tomorrows early shift. Which I think has upped her anxiety.

I keep getting told "Your dog will adapt" by family or "all your dog does is bark [X] amount of hours]" by neighbors. When I'm home she's quiet as a mouse. And usually doesn't bark for the first hour when alone. I've tried music, TV, putting my sweatshirt near her bed, but she is terrified of kennels/crates and actively screams and pees when I open the crate door. Been trying 4 months. I got her a lifted bed and she loves... for only so long.

I love her a lot and I have even applied for remote jobs to help keep me at home but no luck so far. I'm trying my best, but anxiety of "Am I doing more harm or am I just over thinking? Am I a bad person to think about rehoming so soon after adoption?"

Any advice for me to mull over?

@maddy3000 I am aware of that now, after the dna test. She was found as a stray and the kennel never bothered finding out. Essentially got told "That's on you."

When I worked 3rd shift and only had 1 job i was able give her the exercise, command training, walks no problem as I live in a small town with lots of trails, quiet country streets and a dog park.... unfortunately the nearest city with day care and dog walkers is 35 minutes one way. My hours do fluctuate as I juggle the 2 part time jobs in the city while job hunting for a FT one again.

I do have a pet cam and I noticed she stopped playing with her "Alone time" toys which kept it entertained and her pacing/barking increased when my work schedule went crazy. On the days both don't overlap I am able to get her lots of walking and playtime either before or after but the last week even that's not helping as much. I'm just kinda lost.

@maddy3000 I wasn't planning on rehoming any time soon. My biggest worry was for her. I didn't want my life's implosion and selfishness for wanting to keep her to turn into hurting her in the long run.

@2ndcovanent Shit might be crazy for you and her right now. You'll learn times you can spend with her to run the zoomies out. Hopefully things get more normal for you both soon

@maddy3000 I did forget to mention this. My apartment hall neighbor often asks to watch my dog some days but she goes against all the simple foundational rules I've been working with my dog on. No human food, don't allow on counters or tables, no jumping in people's faces, no underfoot in kitchen. She'll walk into the shared public area and lower her plate of food for my dog to eat off of.

She has a dog too but the thing is nearly neglected to the point of when he's outside and I pet him he starts shaking and whining for more. It's rarely(if ever) walked or played with. When it's nice/day off and I toss the ball for mine I'll see if hers can join. I've worked on teaching command to the point I can get both dogs to almost do the same action w/ 1 command while she screams it half a dozen times.

She doesn't understand boundaries even in the rare occasion she's sober.