Please keep Murphy in your thoughts ❤️

@unchosen Hey, we had a senior dog (about 11) who started having seizures.

Try and keep his bed close and away from furniture in case of a middle of the night surprise.

I'm not sure if it's the case for all seizures, but our dogs occurred most frequently when he was falling asleep, waking up, or if he got too excited. So, be careful when waking him and when he's waking up. (Ie] don't start yelling treats while he's passed out)

He may be dazed after and if that's the case, be gentle and familiar with him as he may get confused and scared (our dog had seizures frequently and this very rarely lasted long)

Being informed helps take the edge off, research into it and talk to your vet about proper techniques post-seizure

Best of luck to you both, let me know if you have any questions :)

@bluestealth Hey!! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond ❤️ our boy’s three seizures were just like that; the first two were when we were outside when he was excited (one was a walk passing an off leash dog playing, two was playing in our backyard) and it was hot outside. The third (shortest) was when he was asleep.

I am the type of person who will read as much as she can to find out all possible scenarios and I try to be as prepared as possible. It’s a blessing and a curse haha I read some awful things as well which led to me feeling so helpless. Our vet has been so wonderful though and that helps. ❤️

Do you mind sharing if you ever found a cause for your senior pup’s seizures? Again, I truly appreciate your reply. :) It made me feel better to hear that

@unchosen I completely understand how scary it can be, hence why I wanted to share. Once the vet told us that his rest cycles were probably a main factor, it helped us prevent further seizures and know when to be prepared and watchful.

We were leaving a families house from a birthday party, he was running in the front yard with his cousin/dog friend when he had his first. The second was a week later when he was falling asleep. The third was when he was waking up from a nap in the middle of the day.

I can't remember him ever having a seizure while sleeping (unless startled), or while hanging out, relaxing ect. Mostly when he was falling asleep or if he were startled awake

We got basic blood testing done and found nothing. Their only recommendation was a neurological scan to see if there could be a cause, quite frankly it was just too expensive.

When they started he had already started to slow done, was losing his hearing and sight already, had some non-cancerous lumps and achy bones from a long life, so we decided it wasn't worth it. He took medications which helped a lot and we let him live like a king. He lived for another year before we put him down (he stopped seeming so happy, slept a lot, was aggressive and in pain) but ultimately the seizures weren't a cause of his death by any means, just another part of him that appeared with old age.

I know it's very scary, but remember that he has no idea he's having a seizure. So, the most important thing is to keep him comfortable during and afterwards to keep him as calm as possible. If you panic, you'll just scare him. As far as I know, they're completely unconscious and unaware until the seizures are finished.