How the hell do I keep my dogs nails trimmed between groomings?

@rosie1970 It actually wouldn't be an extra $260 since she gets them trimmed during her grooming appointments already. Rather than waiting 6 weeks, you would be getting a nail trim once a month basically. Which I know is still $120 per year, but it's better, and it keeps the dog happy and healthy, which is important.

It sounds like you've tried multiple things and aren't able to trim them yourself, so even though it's annoying to think about, it would really be much less stressful in the long run for you and your dog. You don't have to worry about it anymore, and your dog doesn't have to always be on the look out for mom with the clippers. Only other thing I can suggest is hooking your dog up to something and standing her on a table, like groomers do. she still probably won't be thrilled about you doing it though..as someone else said, dogs behave differently when parents are out of the picture.

Good luck!

Edit: also, I very much prefer the scissor type trimmers to guillotine. I HATE guillotine clippers. And like others have said, a dremel helps a ton, you'd just have to be careful with stray hairs. The best advice I can give for holding would be to have someone else hold the dog wrapped in a warm towel and you just clip them. Groomers don't just hold dogs and clip their nails by themselves..they either use the table and groomers helper (noose) or have someone else hold the dog. If your pup doesn't want to be restrained, I wouldn't recommend holding her yourself AND trying to trim the nails. It's only going to be frustrating for you because she'll wiggle :p

@rosie1970 Another comment here, sorry haha :) just wanted to say that I doubt the dew claw was cut off at the groomers...it would have bled quite a bit, and unless the groomer was extremely inexperienced, it would be very difficult (in my opinion) to accidently cut it off..even if they are hanging down.

I could be wrong of course..but a groomer would know if they cut off a dew claw. And if they did this and didn't tell you about it, I'd find a new groomer.