How to keep our favorite family member happy

anhphuong

We have a rescue black mouth cur/lab mix named Leo and we LOVE him. I didn’t know it was possible to love a dog as much as I love this fella. He is everything I’ve ever wanted in a best buddy and more. We adopted him right before the Covid pandemic, and as a result we have spent almost 100% of his first few months home with him. It’s been the best.

My husband and I previously had very flexible jobs (which is why we had zero hesitation about adopting him), but in the last month we both have been offered new jobs that practically fell into our laps. The money for both jobs is significantly higher than our current salaries, but they are almost 100% in office jobs. My job is 40 minutes away one way, so I’m looking at being gone 9.5 hours M-F (with occasional work-from-home flexibility once I’ve worked with my new company for 6+ months).

The jobs are obviously exciting, but I am heartbroken about leaving Leo home alone. We have the resources to hire a dog walker or sitter, or to take him to doggy daycare a few times a week, but I’m so worried that he’ll be sad. He’s 1 year old and VERY social (I can’t emphasize that enough) and took to us so quickly. He is on my heels no matter where I am in the house.

When we have to leave him home for short periods, he doesn’t get anxious, but he does seem pretty sad. I can’t imagine having to be away from him for so long once we both start our jobs.

My question is: Does anyone else on this thread have to be away from their doggo 8-10 hours M-F? Do you still feel like you can maintain a close relationship with your pupper? What have you done to make the time that you’re away more enjoyable for your dog?

TL;DR - First time dog owners, we adopted super social rescue doggy right before covid hit and have spent almost every waking moment together since we got him. My husband and I just got new jobs that will keep us out of house 8-10 hours a day. How to make dog’s life wonderful even with us being gone this long?