How many of you have already raised puppies?

spiritfilled14

I’m curious because I’ve raised a puppy before and I don’t think I’d want to do it again 😂. I adopted my 2nd dog (even though adopting an adult dog cost as much as buying a puppy) and have 0 regrets other than I know I’ll see the end of her life sooner. Maybe I just got lucky though

@spiritfilled14 I raised my last baby and had him for almost 16 years. He passed in March and I got my puppy in April. And I completely forgot how hard it is to raise puppies. 😬😬 I'm surviving though lol

@radicalpeng Same. Had two that died after 16 years together. Then adopted a 16 yr old and she died. Then I got a puppy and was like whaaaaaa? Forgot what this was like! Anyway she’s good now she’s 1.5 and life is back to normal.

@radicalpeng Good to find others in a similar boat.. I had a 15 year old girl pass away last November, leaving our other 15 year old boy without a companion. So we pick up a puppy in March and was/is such a roller coaster trying to acclimatize our older dog and also cats to the new pup. My older dog ended up passing away a month later and he was the first puppy I raised. Fucking devastated still.. I was set on never having a puppy again after him and had wanted a rescue but my partner twisted my arm and convinced me that a puppy would get along better with the cats.. which I find dubious now

@forreal I know now you feel. I was heartbroken for kitty. He liked to sit on my lap and now he could never do that. But he’s sitting on my lap again and him and the dog sleep next to each other on our king size bed. You will get there. It just takes time.

@deadtotheworldforchrist Thank you for the encouragement. I think we're doing the right things trying to keep the peace. It's been a little more than 2 months since we got her and my other dog passing away in the middle of it has set me back emotionally. Aside from that, her behaviour is improving all around and potty training is on track.

@spiritfilled14 I prefer puppies, I know it's exhausting back breaking labor but it feels better to know their background and be responsible for their outcome. Even though I tend to choose high energy breeds (all shelter mutts and free craigslist puppies,) bringing an adult predator who I don't know into my house is just too scary for me - especially since I always have other pets and children in the house. I'm currently raising my fifth right now.

@spiritfilled14 Ex corgi breeder here! The eldest of my line of dogs was super depressed after the sudden death of my service corgi. Poor Leah would mope around and hide under the coffee table and just sigh. I was grieving but I knew both of us needed some new life in the house so I got 2 corgi pups from another breeder.

Leah hated it at first and would give the nastiest snarl when the pups came near her, but I worked with her until she could accept them. Then, she was like a different dog. The babies motivated and needed her, and that gave her such energy and joy that she had another good two years of life before she finally was ready to go across the rainbow bridge.

I love puppies so much but I'd never get one alone, or without an adult animal in the house to boss them around and draw a line on what's acceptable. A lot of people have popped up in my life lately who are having babies and getting a puppy, and I'm immediately like yall crazy. But I love 'em, crazy little soft hyper shits.

@spiritfilled14 I have raised one puppy. I work with dogs and puppies and I knew the work involved. I was planning to adopt an adult, and was just fostering a puppy for fun. Then my bf got attached and we had to keep him 😊

He was a REALLY chill and easy puppy. I mean, a lot of work and constant training and cleaning up pees for a few months. But really, easy for a puppy.

I wouldn't mind to do it again, I looooved the puppy stage. He was so cute and funny. I cherish the memories and videos I have so much.

But I'll probably adopt an adult next time, unless I can get a couple months off work to do the puppy thing full time.

@spiritfilled14 Puppies KILL ME I raised 2 in 3 years. And I’m an experienced and career dog person.

IDK why I did it to myself the second time. I got a bull terrier puppy of all breeds. She is 1 year old, we still use the pen a lot and we have at least another year of insanity to go 🫠

@spiritfilled14 I raised one puppy from 9 weeks to 5 years and I’ve now adopted another puppy at 8 weeks. She’s currently 16 weeks.

After the first one, I’ve told myself I would never get another puppy again, but over the years. I’ve looked after friends adult dogs, and realized if I wanted another dog, it would have to be a puppy, because of my cats. They would never accept a fully grown adult dog they didn’t know, and I didn’t want them to live in fear in their own house. Well turns out they are just as scared of the puppy, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know that once she calms down, my other dog and cats will accept her. She’s just a LOT of puppy right now. I’m finding myself saying again, I’ll never get another puppy.

@cycleharmony2022 I’ve raised 6 so far. First two were dachshunds, two years apart. Individually they weren’t any worse than average puppies, but the older female did NOT like the female puppy. Never did make friends, but they learned to mostly tolerate each other for the 16 years they lived together. Second pair were littermates M/F Boston Terriers. Absolute angels from day 1, no issues at all for the 12 years we were lucky enough to have them in our lives. Current pair are M/F littermate Cavaliers. They r 18 months now and they have been a handful to say the least, but life is improving.
All this to say that you can do all the research in the world, but puppies are kind of a crapshoot and you need to be prepared for anything. Like others here, the Cavs will probably be my last puppies. I’ll adopt an older dog or two next time.

@cycleharmony2022
if I wanted another dog, it would have to be a puppy, because of my cats. They would never accept a fully grown adult dog they didn’t know, and I didn’t want them to live in fear in their own house.

I don't get this, cuz surely a super chill adult dog who lived with cats their whole life would be better than any sort of puppy? Puppies are crazy and regardless of breed loves to chase things. With adult dogs you can choose one with the best personality and one that isn't likely to chase.

I'm asking as someone who doesn't own cats but wants them some day lol

Back