How many days a week do you normally work?

nihal

I’ve been grooming for over a yr and half. I normally work five days a week 7am-6pm. I take no breaks and try to show up early. I know I’m doing too much but I don’t know how to fix it. I have this mentality that if I’m not overworked then I’m underworking and not good enough. I also jump stores. I work two days at one(store A) then pack all my stuff and work three days at another store(store B); they’re owned by the same person. Store B has a bather that washes and dries all the groomer’s dogs and takes her own appointments if you tip her $20 a day, I usually give her more because she’s awesome. She says that all the groomers in the years she’s been there have worked 3-4days. At store A we have no bather. The other groomer there works 5 days a week and the one I replaced also worked 5 sometimes 6. I’m bipolar and my rough season is spring. I’m burnt out as hell. The bather told me to drop down to 4 days because grooming is A LOT. However, I would feel like I’m no longer enough. What’s yalls normal working schedule? How much should I be working?

@nihal I think you already know the answer you just need someone you respect to tell you that if you cut back your hours and dogs you will still be working hard enough and that you aren't lazy and bad.

This job is extremely demanding and this industry is a mess. The average general expectations put on groomers are completely unreasonable. If your self worth is tied up in going beyond expectations and working harder than others to validate yourself and the expectation you're starting with is already too much, where you end up is unsustainable at best and a total nightmare.

Setting boundaries for yourself, taking care of yourself, prioritizing being thorough and keeping the dogs comfortable. These are commendable things. They are also work. That's still you working. That's still you putting in effort. Giving of yourself. It's not lazy - it's hard. That's why people avoid it. It's hard work, just of another type.

The real answer is take it as easy as you can while still being able to pay your bills and save for your future. Drop down your days and your dogs. And if you need to work 5 12 hour days every week to be paid adequately, there's something wrong with your compensation or your job duties not you or your efforts.

@maysa You’re definitely right, I just needed to know that I’m not crazy for only working 4days a week. I’ve been working here since December and am still learning what works for me in each store. I’ve been adjusting what services/what type of dog I want scheduled in what time slot. I’m in the process of decreasing the number of full haircuts I do and replacing them with partials or baths. I’m also discussing with the owner that his prices are too low. He’s given me free range with doodle prices for store B.

@nihal Most of the people at my shop work 4 or 5 days a week. Some work 4 days, 730-5 for 38 hours a week, some more some less. This is hard and stressful work and its important to treat your body with respect so you don't damage your health (physical and mental!) and subsequently damage your career.

I would consider doing 2 days at each shop for the summer and take some time to relax, it's no surprise you're burnt out at 55 hours a week!

@recheal95 That’s most likely what I’m going to do. I feel like taking Thursdays off, I work Tuesday-Saturday now, would be good for me. I’m just nervous about the pay cut. I’m slow and there’s no way I could add more dogs. I’m doing 5 at store A and 6 at store B.

Back