Hills Z/D

norwegianvikinh

After months of trial and error with food (Iams puppy, Hills puppy, Go! Limited Ingredient, Open Farm, and others) our vet and vet nutritionist have said it’s best to put her on Hills Z/D permanently. She has been plagued with diarrhea, vomiting, UTIs (one severe), itchy skin, and excess shedding depending on the food and the only time she was good was when she was on the Z/D for 8 weeks.

I am not going to lie…. The ingredient list does not make me thrilled. Cornstarch as the first ingredient, soybean oil not too far down, and the rest. Also, the protein seems low.

Please tell me this will all be ok!!!!

@norwegianvikinh https://www.reddit.com/r/DogFood/wiki/index/ingredients/

Ingredients lists are not a helpful way to evaluate or examine pet food and this is a perfect example why not! Multiple experts have recommended a well tested science-backed diet that will benefit your dogs health. It has all the nutrients your dog needs regardless of the ingredients list not feeling nice to us laypeople.

Dogs do not need excess protein.

This is an excellent diet and it will be okay!

@norwegianvikinh Your dog has extreme sensitivities it seems and you have found something that works. Thats awesome! I bet your pet is feeling better with less itching etc. This food has been around for over 20 years with a lot of research behind it. The ingredient list may be different and “weird” compared to other food out there but that’s part of why it helps allergic pets (while being formulated to keep them healthy as well) I am sure your dog was extremely miserable with all their symptoms flared up . If this can calm them down I would stay the course. You can ask about expanding treats with fruits and vegetables if that would help you feel better about it. Consider this a win!

@norwegianvikinh I had an IBD dog who suffered for her first 9 years of life. So much vomiting, diarrhea, pacing/panting (belly pain), burping, whining, horrible. I finally listened to my vet who suggested a Rx food (which I considered garbage and refused for so long). It took about 4 days and it was a flipping miracle! She lived to 14 and the only time she ever got sick again is if she got into something that wasnt her Rx food. I stopped feeling “bad” about feeding her “garbage” and not having variety in her diet when I saw how she became a normal healthy COMFORTABLE dog. Do it because if it helps, your dog finally has relief. Stomach problems are hell. Dont’ let anyone talk you out of it.

Back