Hills have changed their Z/D and now my dog can't tolerate it! Any help?

@christodoulos I would start off by sending fresh stool sample to outside laboratory to see if they find anything. Start on probiotics to help with good gut bacteria. Start on vitamin b 12 injections.

@christodoulos Kibble is hard on a lot of pets. Hydrolyzed proteins should only be used for a few months, because they do not have the nutrition that pets need. I would recommend a LID freeze dried or raw diet. Kibble is heavily processed and hard for the body to break down, where as minimally processed foods are easier.

@pleaseprayformeplz I might try raw at some point. I haven't tried it up until now because it seems to be the proteins in meat that he cannot digest. And I don't think that the food being raw will alter this intolerance.

But if I get desperate enough I will try anything. I will have to google LID freezed diet as have not heard of it.

Thanks

@christodoulos Perhaps it's time to Google The Truth About Dog Food and make your own. I use pure canned pumpkin as the filler. My cats eat it out of the can.

At age 12 my Corgi had 12% of his kidney function left when I switched to homemade food with raw meats. He acted like a puppy and lived another 2 years. Dinovite has powdered supplements to add to make balanced, nutritious food.

I do not get anything from Dinovite. I've been making my dog and cat food for 10 years.

You can do this. 💛

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yes that sounds like something I would be prepared to do it's just that the problem we were told by the vet that he had was that he couldn't tolerate the protein in meats, hence Hills with hydrolyzed protein sources.

I imagine that raw meat will have the same effect on him given that the proteins will be the same. But I might try it if I run out of options. Thank you.

@christodoulos The veterinary schools and veterinary clinics contract with big dog food brands so they have to promote those brands I didn't want to believe it. But I looked at my Corgi, Keiffers, in the back seat on his way home from bladder stone surgery and said, "This isn't over."

I wanted to be angry but poured my energy into making Keiffers healthy. Hills, Purina, Beneful, and my dog's staple for his entire life--Iams, were all named at that time on the top 10 worst foods for dogs.

Almost all of dogs' skin and Digestive ailments are from what we unwittingly poison them with. No guilt! Now that you know better you will find the perfect recipe for your pooch.

I mix mine with pure canned pumpkin. My cats try to eat it out of the can.

@christodoulos Something similar happened to us! My dog (1year old corgi) was on their sensitive stomach dry food and doing okay until they changed the recipe.

Once we opened the new bag with the different formula, she was vomiting, had terrible stools, the works. We thought she was poisoned or something. A week and 3 different vets later one of them just said...try this other sensitive stomach food from Purina...

The problem went away and she's fine now but we were pissed. It turned out they added ground pecan shells and since we had "reorder" on Chewy turned on we had no idea. I called Hills to complain. We got a refund for the food but they said it basically wasn't their food, even though it was. You should call and at least try to get your money back and let them know it's a problem!! You're right though, it sounds like it's the food.

Sorry to hear it's happening to your dog too, it sucks. I hope they feel better soon.

@eline Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear it has happened to you too, and more severely it sounds.

Is it Purina HA that you are using now? Dry or wet food? I can find the dry food here in the UK but not the wet food.

I have asked Hills what they have changed in their recipe but haven't received a reply yet. Pecan shells you say??

@christodoulos No worries, I'm glad our bad experience is helpful in this case! What matters now is our dog is okay!

We're using Purina EN now from Chewy, the dry food. When I looked up the name they did have the sensitive skin and stomach formula on there, I think maybe for the wet food too? We've had a lot more success with Purina.

You can actually go on Chewy or call and they'll do a formula comparison with you! I called them first and this really nice lady sat on the phone and went through ingredient by ingredient. The difference was the ground pecan shells (which are supposed to be an easier fiber source to digest but it seems like BS to me, unless it's a food allergy) as well as some kind of animal fat change.

@eline Thank you. I may end up trying him on the Purina HA hydrolyzed protein dry food as I can't seem to find the wet food anywhere in the UK. Thanks for your advice.

@eline Hills has been putting activbiome on a lot of their prescription foods lately. We got the last of the original formula and now it’s all the new stuff which is causing dogs to vomit and have diarrhea everywhere. Not a fan and wouldn’t use it for the dogs at my clinic if I had a choice.

@cpf I second this, it's a bad choice, especially for dogs with sensitive stomachs! The original formula worked really well but that new stuff sucks. We switched to Purina's version which is easier for our dog to eat (it's a waifer texture on the inside instead of a straight kibble piece) and it smells better too!

They need to have a warning, when I called they acted like they had never heard of the issue before and it wasn't possible.

@eline They also switched so suddenly and without warning that since it’s a new formula, I doubt most pet owners had time to slowly transition to the new food. Now, it’s just causing all kinds of havoc on dogs that already had issues. This is honestly why I don’t feed my dogs Hill’s. The inconsistency, not being able to find the food stocked anywhere for weeks when I need it, just problem after problem.

@cpf That's what happened to us, but the vet also said because it's already basically bland it shouldn't have caused the reaction it did. We definitely learned our lesson the hard way on this one. The had the gall to send us coupons, as if we were going to order again

@christodoulos Wish my pointer was picky he eats anything and everything including toilet roll if I leave any of the bathroom doors open lol he’s a terror, hope you figure out a solution!

@christodoulos Purina sensitive skin and stomach is my first suggestion. It’s $40 or so for a big bag and does well and can get it at a store. Or to go even further royal canine ultimino. It’s prescription and $100 for a big bag but absolutely top of the line for food sensitivities. I have two doodles and each has their own varying degree of food sensitivities that we figured out with the help of our vet and a monitored food trial.

Back