Hills have changed their Z/D and now my dog can't tolerate it! Any help?

christodoulos

Hi there,

My spaniel has been on Hills Z/D wet food for more or less 11 years now. It has been the only dog food he has been able to tolerate. Other foods with hydrolzed protein have also been no good (such as the Royal Canin one).

He doesn't tolerate any dry foods. The ones the vet has recommended me I have already tried previously and he couldn't tolerate them.

However Hills recently changed the recipe of that particular food, and now he doesn't tolerate it well at all. He drinks a lot after eating and gets tummy churning noises a few hours later and goes very quiet and drowsy. I can tell he's having digestive discomfort.

What I've got him on at the moment is an alternation between Hills Z/D, a very healthy Austrian hypoallergenic food made from Insect protein, and I alternate that with meals made up of white fish and carrots. If I stop alternating and give him the same thing over and over again he starts to react to it.

However judging from how he is reacting to it I think I might have to cut out the Hills Z/D.

Does anyone have any advice? Could anyone recommend anything that I might not have tried?

Thank you very much

@imagebeastmarkbeast I haven't but I spent months when he was a puppy and since trying him out on different foods and dog foods so I have a pretty good idea of what he can tolerate and for how long. But if nothing else works I could try that thanks for the suggestion.

@christodoulos Purina also makes a hydrolyzed-protein diet (Pro Plan HA) in both dry and cans. Ive had a lot of clients (im a vet tech) use it mainly for GI cases and like it. I had a cat that was on the Royal Canin AND the z/d cans for years and did great but when I couldn’t get the Royal Canin I would switch to the Purina and she did ok with it.

@haydnp Thank you a few people have mentioned Purina. He has never tolerated a dry food before (even when I have put water on it and mashed it up) but hey at this point I'll try anything. Thank you.

@christodoulos I have worked at a vets office for 16 years. In my opinion, that food has more problems with dogs able to digest it properly than all others combined. I'm not knocking Science diet food, that's the brand I feed my dogs and cats. Just a observation.

Back