Heeler Help

@shneider177 THANK YOU! This was the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I lm not sure how one can have their heeler roam their house unsupervised, especially as a puppy. I don’t have the money to replace furniture and walls and floors…or vet bills if she ingests them. So I’m glad to hear this because that seems more up our alley. She one time got out and was outside for hours, she just laid on the front porch and chilled. So I think your suggestion is more doable for us. Thank you for commenting!

@awakeninglife This is what we did with ours as well. Establishing a strict routine that also has rewards for success is key for heelers. We would give him a frozen Kong or lick pad to occupy his brain in the crate as well.

@awakeninglife My thoughts were maybe she would be happier in a smaller crate inside the house (since she’s inside at night). My current boy needs to be confined to the laundry room when we are gone. He seems content in there (no wall/door chewing or scratching) and there isn’t much he can get into.

@awakeninglife No management tool replaces training; and in training, nothing replaces patience. I don't see either training or patience strongly manifested in your post. The way you seem to be thinking about it, it seems as if training is your last resort and you are looking for a quick easy fix. That mentality would in the long run cause more problems that it solves.

If crated, you should keep the dog in a large comfortable crate. If she defecates in her crate, it's your training that's lacking, and she should not be the one punished by a cramped crate, especially for so many hours a day. That said, if I were to leave my heeler at home for so many hours alone, I would spend $50 to buy an x-pen, or spend some effort and clear out a safe room so that she gets some space with some safe toys.

Also, the "freedom to run around" is not exercise. Exercise is the interaction you have with your dog. If you don't have time, or are just trying to take yourself out of the equation, then a heeler really is not a fit for your family.

Back