Food recommendations for a complex situation?

@motorcyclemichael I literally never said that? My point is that the way you’re coming across is entirely counterproductive and unhelpful. Why would I ever listen to someone who immediately criticizes and insults my ability to care for and provide for my dog? Do you even know my background? Do you know that I have a bachelor’s degree in animal science meaning I likely have had more formal education in animal nutrition than most people on this subreddit?

I came here to bounce ideas off of others to make sure I wasn’t missing something but apparently that was a massive mistake because y’all are just going to continue to criticize every single thing I’ve ever done or said about the care I have provided to and continue to provide to my dog. At least my dog won’t be going hungry like so many dogs out there…

With that being said, I will speak to our vet about a hydrolyzed diet option again if we continue to have problems or don’t see any improvement. Our vet had just said that it wasn’t necessary at this point in time when we last saw her in January, so it’s not like it’s been years since we’ve seen her.

@adebamigbe Jesus Christ, and I'm the one being rude, this is a public forum. This sub is also really heavy into the WSAVA compliant brands. Why don't you use that animal science degree and pick your own food. You are absolutely the one rejecting everyones help. Calm down.

Feed your dog what ever the hell you want, you're clearly going to. At least your dog is getting fed, and it's clear you care about them. He's also a large breed 10 year old dog, things are gonna be a little less snatched then they used to be and I don't need an animal science degree to know that.

(You also don't know shit about me either)

@adebamigbe I don't know why you are anti purina but honestly their pro plan or beta with salmon sounds like a good fit. I don't know about the calorie content but it's not the end of the world if you need to feed less than the package directions

@adebamigbe Purina, Royal Canin are always recommended by vets and breeders as they have food science behind them. My pooch has allergies. He’s currently on an elimination diet for three months. The vet gave him Purina DERM as kibbles. Also a Hydrolized “paté” in a can that I make little meatballs to hide his pills. He’s been doing much better. He’s also got hypoallergenic treat biscuit. The vet said zero other foods and treats for the three months and then introduce one thing at a time to see if there’s a reaction. My dog is also overweight at 23 lbs. he should be 15. He’s lost three pounds two months. He’s not very active and hates walks. 🤦 I’m sure he’d lose more. It’s about the portions rather than food. For my guy I was told to feed him half a cup for breakfast and half a cup for dinner.

@adebamigbe Talk to your vet about a hydrolyzed protein diet. It can fix most of the skin and coat issues you’re taking about while still being scientifically sound. There’s also brands of hydrolyzed specifically with metabolic rates and large breed joints in mind. Once you do the math of boutique brands and toppers/supplements and the pain of constantly switching, hydrolyzed can save you some money too.

Once my guy got on hydrolyzed his skin and coat improved and his appetite is stabilizing.

@adebamigbe Poor dude, that’s a lot of allergies. I was going to suggest Purina Pro Plan’s sensitive skin & stomach large breed food, although it’s about 400 kcal/cup and I see you’re wanting something a bit lower in calories. It might still be worth trying though. My dog does great on the small breed version. Weight loss is a CICO thing. Weight loss foods just typically have more fiber so they feel fuller while still having less calories.

@adebamigbe OP, it seems you have some misconceptions about food and your vet. Purina has diets that would fit the needs that you're describing. However, if there was some problem with purina, you could go with Hill's Z/D or derm complete. Or go to Royal canin and use HP or ultamino. Please listen to your vet. He is educated on nutrition; especially of food allergies. Also avoid grain free foods, like the one you're currently on. Ingredients 2 to 6 are all sources that may be linked to DCM.

@adebamigbe Have you ever thought that it could be environmental allergies? It’s extremely unlikely that your dog is allergic to each type of protein. I would discuss this with your vet as first environmental allergies there are treatments you can try, and then get a diet recommendation from them.

@mihailolt We’ve looked at and delved into the possibility of these issues being environmentally-related with our vet, yes. We have tried him on Apoquel and Zyrtec as well as some other things like steroids but nothing has helped besides changing his diet to eliminate pretty much all proteins except fish. I don’t consider it to be a true allergy, technically speaking, but more so a sensitivity to the proteins (except in the case of chicken which he does get hives, liquid stools, and is extremely itchy whenever he’s eaten anything containing chicken or chicken products).

@adebamigbe This seems like an odd case. It may be best for you to consult a DACVM veterinary nutritionist and possibly a dermatologist on these issues and ask for them to help you make a plan. There is a lot of misinformation on these subs so it is best to speak to a professional.

@adebamigbe My pup also has sensitivities to poultry -as well as pork. Any dry kibble diet with greater than 15% fat also aggravates his GI symptoms. Fish based diets helped. We got this all worked out after a prescription hydrolyzed elimination diet.
Anyway - these two options work for us - Forza10 active intestinal and Squarepet Low Fat. Both are fish based and low fat and are available on Chewy. Good luck!

@adebamigbe This food is decent if you're looking for fish based

As for the losing weight aspect, obviously it's really just calories in/calories out. Your dog is older now and won't be eating the amount of food he ate 6 years ago. If you want to cut back on the amount of kibble you feed, you can add some extra veggies to the kibble like green beans. This will leave your dog feeling full while consuming less calories per meal. If your worried about your dog not receiving all of the nutrients like the othet person commented then you can add certain supplements. But again, exercise is key. I'm not saying intense workouts. Leisurely strolls go along way.

Back