Entitled dog walkers

@citywolf That’s the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. I’m sure most people would have done the same thing.

Last week I was taking my dog out for a walk and a guy who lives a couple doors down didn’t have a leash on his small dog so I stood there waiting for him to walk past us. After a couple seconds he looked at me and I said that I was waiting for him to walk past us because his dog isn’t on a leash and he looked at me like I was crazy. We went back and forth for a minute and he eventually just picked up his dog so I could walk past him. My dog doesn’t love other dogs so he usually just sniffs them then walks away but there’s that small change of him or the other dog not liking each other. Better safe than sorry.

@citywolf We cross the street if we can't walk in an entirely different direction for dogs and people because our antique rescue beagle corgi mix is very leash reactive and she is not willing to tolerate anybody or anything she doesn't know. For that matter, she doesn't like our blind rescue being in the same room as her even. She's toothless so she couldn't do any damage, but we do like to avoid her swearing up a storm at others and threatening to gum their face off. We generally only walk her at night when the neighbourhood has gone in for the day, it stresses her out less.

Your sister shouldn't take it to heart. Who cares what that lady says, she did what was best for your dog.

@citywolf I always respond with "but my dog isn't nice" lol. I've had similar situations. Like when I avoided a pitbull and the owner was like "he doesn't do anything" I simply responded with "but my dog does". Tbf, mine can actually be reactive, but it's also just a good excuse lol. They quickly call their dog back and avoid you from then on xD

@citywolf I have this one dude in my apartment complex with this corgi who doesn’t like other dogs. My dog is half husky with some trauma at the dog park that makes her madly bark at other dogs.
I purposefully take her out during hours where there will be less dogs out for this reason. My apartment has a small dog run where you can enjoy playing fetch or just letting the dog run around a bit. This absolute ass hat of a human will walk his dog by the fencing, my dog not leashed in the dog run of course is barking at the fence and his dog on the side walk right up against is, the same. He acts flabbergasted and like we’re the assholes when HE CAN WALK AROUND OR THE OTHER WAY. Trying to wrangle my not leashed dog in the fucking mud of this dog run is far more difficult than you with a leashed dog WALKING AROUND.

But that’s Boulder, Co for you. 🤷🏻

@citywolf That's nuts. Talk about projection. People cross the street all the time when they see me walking my dog, which is a 10lb well behaved havanese. Why? Probably because there are a lot of rescue dogs in my neighborhood and a lot of them are reactive. I'm always grateful when someone crosses the street to avoid me and my dog, because I, too, have owned a reactive dog in the past, and I appreciate that they are paying attention to their surroundings and proactively creating distance from the trigger. That's just good dog ownership!

@citywolf You didn’t do anything wrong. I’ve found that sometimes dogs act as a lightning rod for public attention, and not always in a good way. Every so often, you will get someone random who shouts at you, even when you’re not doing anything wrong. I do think (not sure if this describes you) smaller women can often get these aggressive comments more often, as people are just looking for a target for their own frustrations and take it out on someone who doesn’t look like they’ll fight. It sucks, and I’m sorry you experienced it.

@citywolf She knew what she was getting when she chose a ~scary~ breed and she likely chose it intentionally so she could pick dumb fights with people because she’s a fundamentally rude person.

If someone does this nonsense to you again, go ahead and lie if you’re not comfortable just telling them to fuck off. “My dog is sick/aggressive/has PTSD” are all valid reasons to avoid other dogs.

I have a reactive dog and walk her with a flag on her leash that says NO DOGS that was very reasonably priced if this becomes an ongoing issue. Hard to argue that you’re being dog-racist when they’re pre-warned, even if you’re lying.

@citywolf Always safety first. I walk a fluffy little cute dog who is a grumpy old lady and I change my direction every time I see another dog coming toward us. Sometimes the other dog owner looks offended thinking I think their dog is aggressive because of their size. But it’s actually mine who could cause trouble despite the super cute look.

So many people don’t know what they are doing with their dogs and it’s always the best to put safety first. Letting two dogs on lead to greet is not a good idea anyway.

@citywolf My job is to keep my pups safe. I do not care if someone offended by my closing to avoid them or their dog. If your dog is big enough to significantly harm my dog in little time, then we avoid you. That simple. And I think she might want to change her made up word to breedism instead of dogism…

@citywolf I cross sidewalks and turn around all the time to avoid people & dogs on my walk because my husky mix is scared of people and has been attacked by other dogs before because he is not neutered, and I have never had an issue with people being upset about that. This lady is picking fights for no reason and is in the wrong. Sorry you had to deal with her, hopefully you do not have to cross paths with her again.

Back