Entitled dog walkers

@citywolf Okay, that's a new one. I do sometimes wonder if people think I'm avoiding their dogs when I cross the street and I just want to yell, "It's not you, it's me!" šŸ˜‚ I have a large, 15 month old mixed breed and I'm trying to train him to be neutral around other dogs. I always cross when other dogs are approaching us, because my dog can't handle it.

@citywolf Thatā€™s wild. If anything, I think itā€™s responsible to create some space between your dog and a dog and owner you donā€™t know. You could potentially be preventing a huge problem by doing so. I know my dog well enough to give her space because sheā€™s energetic and fast (a GSP) and that can look intimidating to some. If my girl and I get out of your way itā€™s for you as much as it is for us!

@citywolf Weā€™ve gotten this before from a pitbull owner, when crossing the road because my dog is reactive. The owner yelling actually set off my dog and caused him to have a reaction, so I yelled back, ā€œThis right here. THIS is what I was trying to avoid, not your dog.ā€ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøI understand that breed discrimination is real and these owners probably do get hate on a regular basis, but my dogā€™s mental health will always be more important than worrying about offending someone.

@citywolf I always appreciate it when I'm walking my timid little princess and others cross the road to avoid conflicts. She doesn't need any bad experiences while she gets more confidence.

@citywolf I have a GSD and will cross the road where possible simply because I know some people are naturally nervous of the breed. Respect costs nothing. That lady needs to accept she has a breed that some people will just avoid if they can.

@citywolf Please laugh this off. Some people are totally illogical. The number of people who have told me ā€œdonā€™t worry he/she is friendly,ā€ while their dog is pulling super hard and lunging while snarling at my dog (while my dog ignores them) is baffling! I can only surmise that dog owners, just like any other people, have a certain number of individuals who are totally delusional. That lady sounds delusional. She has something going on with her and decided to take it out on another unsuspecting dog owner. It has nothing to do with other dog owners and everything to do with her. Donā€™t engage, but if you do want to, and it is safe for you and your dog to do so, I find the whole, ā€œoh I was just trying to give everyone space Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s the polite thing to do if possible, but it sounds like youā€™ve had different experiences and have given this a lot of thought, have you had some bad experiences with other dog owners?ā€ I have found empathizing with someone when they are mid meltdown can sometimes turn the whole thing around, but not if the person is truly unhinged or dangerous.

@citywolf Sheā€™s a bitch that wants attention. Literally it. Plus, to your point, you have a puppy and you donā€™t know the other dog. Gotta keep your family safe.

Also, Iā€™m kind of a dick and would be like, ā€œhell yeah, I hate dogs! Better keep them away from me!ā€ Then Iā€™d give my boy a treat and happily say, ā€œcome on,ā€ and weā€™d never see her again.

@citywolf It's not like racism. However I think I understand where she is coming from.

When you have a great dog that everyone judges based on its breed, I can understand how that could hurt. I love when I have my dogs out and people want to pet them because it makes my dogs very happy. Maybe her dog loves it, too, and it just makes her sad because people fear or hate the dog she loves so much.

It was ignorant of her to equate it to racism, and rude of her to lash out. She could have just as easily smiled warmly and said I know he looks scary, but he is very friendly and a gentle giant.

Conversely, you could have smiled and said it's not him (pointing to her dog), it's him (pointing to yours). Then maybe you would have had a nice but short chat from across the road and you both would have left feeling slightly better for the interaction.

@citywolf Wow. Omg. So Sorry. Someone always has to feel offended by something, eh. And now we're dog racists lmao bc we are unsure of the situation.

@citywolf this has happens to me lol my dog is nervous and will run from other dogs so if i see one loose i put my dog on a lead . I got a lecture about how not all staffies are dangerous etc.. I love all dogs my dog doesnt though .

@citywolf I cross the street for everyones dogs big or small and people out of politeness,

but you are wrong about corsos being bred for fighting that's factually incorrect

Corsos are bred for property protection

They are not a bull breed they are a molloser

Back