Dog vomiting and lethargic but no diarrhea

syntychie

Last Friday 12/29 around 6:30am my 9 year old Lab mix threw up her dinner from the night before. She was also lethargic. She continued to throw up more that morning, her entire breakfast plus 5-6 spots of white mucus. No diarrhea, stool was normal.

After seeing on the camera she was still throwing up, I came home from work, she was very lethargic, so I took her to the ER vet around 11:00am. They checked her vitals, did an exam, and did an x-ray. Everything checked out normal. No blood test but she did have a blood test at her regular vet checkup a couple weeks ago which was normal. They gave her an anti-nausea shot and some prescription wet food and I took her home.

I was out of town Sat-Mon and my mom watched her while I was gone. She did not throw up again the rest of the weekend, though she continued to be somewhat lethargic until Monday when she finally started to act back to her old self again, wanting to play, etc. Over the course of the weekend I had my mom transition from the prescription wet food, to boiled chicken breast & rice, to partly her kibble (Purina Pro Plan Senior Dog Shredded Chicken Formula).

Everything seemed good, she was getting back to normal, but I just heard from my mom that this morning she only picked the chicken out of the bowl to eat and did not eat the kibble, and then she also found 2 spots of vomit. This dog is obsessed with food and will eat everything and never leaves food in her bowl ever, so not eating her kibble is a huge deal. She said she was acting a little lethargic as well.

I called the ER vet and explained the situation and they suggested I switch back to the prescription wet food to see if that helps.

What could this be? Vomiting and lethargy but no diarrhea is very strange. Is it possible the kibble is bad and that's what is making her sick? She did eat some of the kibble all of yesterday and did not throw up.

@syntychie When they did X-rays did they ask if you wanted a barium series done to rule out an obstruction or foreign body? Blood work now might give an indication of what’s going on as well since this is an acute illness

@rsanchez353 They did not do anything other than x-ray, IV fluid injection in her back, Cerenia injection, and Hill's prescription i/d wet food to take home.

They told me to wait about 4 hours to feed her the food and if she threw it up then to bring her back. They said they would do further testing if that happened. She did not throw up at all until this morning (4 days later).

The vet showed me the x-rays and pointed out some spots that she said looked like gas buildup, but she said that if it was an obstruction that it would be "twice the size of this" after pointing out one spot in particular.

After calling them this morning, they told me to bring her back if she throws up the Hill's i/d food.

@nic227 Nope I never figured out what the problem was, but she eventually got better. After I made this post I switched back to Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care wet food for several days, and then eventually I started adding in (a new) kibble. I was originally feeding her Purina Pro Plan Adult 7+ Chicken & Rice, and I switched her to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach 7+ Salmon & Rice.

I'm not sure if that was even necessary, but she is doing really well on the new food.

@syntychie She could have eaten something, vomit it where you didn’t see it and now you are just dealing with irritated stomach. It happened to my younger dog this fall, she kept sneakily eating acorns, throwing them up almost immediately and then throwing up foam for few more hours. It took me a while to figure it out.

@syntychie I’d definitely push for more testing. My dog threw up her food a couple days in a row. I called and they said try a slow feeder but she was already using one. X ray came back clear but I pushed. She ended up having Giardia.

Back