Dog killed a rabbit

@armah My tiny dog once killed a pigeon and looked extremely proud of herself. Dogs are descendents of (very intelligent) wolves, they have an instinct to catch prey. It's totally normal.

@radteen4god What kind of tiny dog? I have a female miniature Pinscher who loves to hunt. She also killed a pigeon 3 or 4 months ago. Brought the whole carcass into her crate in the house and decapitated it. Then, I watched her trying to figure out what she was doing. She paraded around the living room with the pigeons head in her mouth. She was very pleased with herself.

@danny91 She's a Shih-tzu, and the runt of her litter at that! Otherwise a complete lapdog, her 99% wolf DNA decided to rear it's head for once. She killed it and looked at me like she was very surprised at her own actions.

How big is your mini Pinscher?

@danny91 Reminds me of my girl😭 she's a Schnauzer French Poodle mix and she's very short but has managed to kill a good chunk of rats and 2 bats in her entire life, i still wonder how she did it lmao but luckily as she has been keeping up with her vaccines she hasnt gotten anything weird and is 16 years and counting now

@armah If he’s up to date on his vaccines (including lepto) he should be fine. Dogs (especially huskies and shepherds) have very strong prey drives, so its instinct is to catch whatever is running in front of their faces.

@armah He’s a dog..it’s completely normal behavior especially for a Husky. His stomach could just be feeling a little bit upset, or could be you stressed him out and so he ate grass, thereby causing the throw up. As everyone else has said, so long as he has all his shots, he’ll be fine. Just ensure the puking isn’t happening consistently.

@armah As our veterinarian said when our girl swallowed a bunny whole “Rabbits are nature’s hors d’oeuvres”. Rabbits often carry tape worms which isn’t anything to panic about. Just keep an eye on your pup’s stool or call your veterinary office for a round of dewormer for your crew- easy peasy and non-invasive.

@boxfox This! My dogs (country dogs) eat rabbit quite a bit. I don’t love it, but they are animals after all. We keep them up on all vaccines and do a dewormer often because they did get tape worm once.

@armah Dogs can kill prey animals very quickly with just a grab and a playful shake. I would assume most don't think about what they are doing beyond just catching something and playing with it. Your reaction probably confused him, which is fine. We as humans react in ways frequently that are confusing to dogs, like yelling if they run out the door towards a street, or hollering because they are digging a hole in the yard. I imagine it is all in the past to him now. Dog probably ate grass in the yard around the same time, and puked it up, which is really common. I don't think the incidents are related at all.

The only thing I would be cautious with is having your dog around strange small animals and rodents in the future. My dog got a rabbit over a year ago, and since then we have had no problem with our cat or other small dogs, but have had her kill unlucky chipmunks and mice that cross her path :/ As long as she is under my care, I will not be getting any small animal pets or allowing her around unknown cats, just as an abundance of caution.

@armah I had a small dog, about 9lbs that was the sweetest, least aggressive dog in the world. You could literally snatch his favorite treat from his mouth if you needed to with no problem from him. He killed every bunny that came in my yard. I’m pretty sure he’d have killed anything else he could catch. He just had a very high prey drive.

@armah My 2 y/o Samoyed managed to grab and kill a dove a couple of weeks ago. It happens with prey driven dogs no matter how careful you are.

If your dog is up on his vaccines, there’s not really anything to worry about. My biggest worry was how I was going to get rid of the dead bird in my garden but luckily the neighbour came and helped.

@juju123 It was two dogs that hit the same farm a couple of times. They were able to trap one, the other that was the culprit i’m pretty sure was shot on the property when it came back :/

Back