Does it ever get better? What more could we be doing? Reaching the end of our rope

@godspurpose07 Your next steps are to seriously consider balanced training. Literally all your problems you are having is because for some reason you think you are morally obligated to positive only? You cannot communicate effectively with an anxious reactive dog. It’s also largely genetic and not your fault. Sounds like you’ve done a lot right. But you ain’t getting over the wall which is really quite simple to climb over. If you’d just consider having more tools in your box to deal with problem behaviours.

Positive only works for easy dogs. Or if you are perfect and never slip up. Or if you can predict exactly when your dogs having a bad day. If you have perfect timing and perfect environmental control and know exactly how your dog is feeling all the time.

You realise why your behaviourist told you to avoid triggers right? Because that’s all you can do if your positive only. It’s So your dog never gets a chance to rehearse bad behaviours and be put in the stressful situations where he is just helpless and can’t control himself, over threshold. Because for some reason someone thought it is cruel to have tools/ methods to contain a dogs threshold and teach a dog that certain behaviours are not okay so a dog actually understands what is expected of it. But nope, they decide that they can do it better with distance and working thresholds and basically desensitising dogs to any external stimulus with food and painstakingly slowly over thousands of reps and slowly manufacture a dog who doesn’t know how to be a dog because it’s never had a chance to practice any sort of behaviours. Because it’s never encountered any stimulus.

Honestly, lovely in theory, but assumes you never slip up. A dogs genetics plays a very strong role and when the urge kicks in to do something you can’t really stop it with treats and in that moment when it happens you have absolutely no tools to stop it except avoid the same scenario next time. or tell yourself to better manage the situation next time. You realise statistically this means youre just more likely to fail over time because eventually mistakes will be made with really difficult dogs.

So then that’s all your life’s ever going to be. You’re never going to have a normal dog. But I mean you kinda signed up for it so you should kinda accept it that this is all you’re ever gonna get out of your training.

What’s the point of training your dog with treats when he’s happy relaxed calm and he never knows what to do when he’s stressed frustrated anxious? And you wonder why he can’t do anything and doesn’t listen. Positive only is really hard to proof behaviours. The whole point of proofing is so your dog can do anything in any state of mind and distraction. I don’t like Caesar Milan all that much but if he’s good at one thing it’s with problem dogs and he literally just always puts a dog in one state of mind which is calm. And he does so with simple corrections. And dogs understand. That’s why he’s so successful even if many ppl don’t agree with him.

But positive only people will never understand dog behaviour.

@darla331 My issues with considering balanced training comes from looking at the data from published, reputable academic papers and journals, not from some moral objection.

As a scientist, it is my literal job to be able to read/analyze data, and if the prevailing science suggested that balanced training works, I would certainly consider it. However, an overwhelming amount of the peer reviewed, reputable research I have read has shown that aversive methods, while potentially effective, increase the risk of aggression down the line. What you've said about being more likely to fail statistically using this method has not been supported by the academic reading I've done on the subject, which suggests that a majority of dogs with "problem aggression" have been trained using aversive methods. That doesn't mean that aversive methods CAN'T work, or don't work, and anecdotally they may have worked well for plenty of people.

I'm honestly really glad that balanced training worked for your dog, but my current plan is to stick with the science for now.

@godspurpose07 I am honestly so heartened reading your responses in this thread. I just wanted to say your dog is really lucky to have you - thank you for being a handler who is not only measured and ethical in their approach, but also respectful and kind to other humans!

@godspurpose07 I’ve also seen such research in order to make an informed assessment myself. You have to understand that the research is often not perfect and I feel not conclusive enough. Especially for certain populations of dogs (reactive anxious dogs).

Their findings are kinda obvious. Aversive training alone is “bad” for the dog but they really haven’t gone very deep into the issue. I believe I saw one where they measure the stress hormones. And they conclude that any aversive training increases the stress in dogs. So it’s bad? Wait. Think for a bit. If more people tend to send their messed up reactive anxious dogs to last resort aversive training places while sending their easier dogs to positive only places your whole entire study is already ruined with confounds.

What I haven’t seen being studied also is the efficacy of the method in relation to whether the dogs are already balanced dogs or have behaviour issues. Would be happy to look into those if you have come across any papers. But i think the proper study design should be to take the same dog and apply one method for 6 months and measure the improvement vs. another method. Or A\B testing.

Since you are into research, you should know that to properly conclude that one method is just generally bad, you need to look at the interaction between the training method and the personality of the dog to avoid the confounds.

A lot of times they just look at the correlation and you can’t really say anything about causation.

Lots of people send dogs to schools for different reasons. At least from what I can tell studies don’t really differentiate the personality of the dogs. And they don’t differentiate the reason why the dogs are in certain schools in the first place.

You can have 10 aversive trainers and I’m pretty sure only 2 may know what they are actually doing. Aversive training is just generally bad I agree. And overall if you have a stressed out dog, your dogs just gonna respond to aversives with more stress initially obviously. And it’s really quite obvious that if your dogs nervous, stressed and you inflict pain and send it into overdrive, there’s a chance the dogs going to break and lash out. That’s so obvious. But that’s not what we’re trying to do here are we? And that’s the problem with the research. And makes people stop thinking about what their doing because experts say “x”.

But it’s not so simple. Dog training is not so simple. The end goal is does my dog actually start behaving in a manner where the human is actually comfortable with it? Because believe me, I know most people wouldn’t care if they have an anxious dog but the dog never reacts. Your dog was born anxious and that’s not going away. But you rather have a dog that doesn’t react in front of every trigger or would you rather have one that displays his anxiousness and goes crazy? The problem is very clear though. If you have a dog prone to lashing out but just “hides” it then yes you absolutely will not benefit from such methods. There is that danger.

What is the alternative to aversive training though? And does it work? Sure positive only training means that your dog is less likely to respond aggressively because you’re always avoiding triggers. But you are measuring the wrong thing in the studies. You should be measuring other outcomes and I really could go on and on about this.

The first step is always to contain the crazy. No one is saying the dogs going to be happy immediately. But allowing your dog to follow a protocol in presence of triggers actually allows the dog the chance to respond to positive conditioning. Balanced training done right you should be about 95% positive. So you’re not actually “balanced” literally. More heavily positive with a little aversives for communication purposes and threshold control. And there needs to be more longitudinal studies with much longer term horizons because dog training takes a long time. You can’t just say, I hit my dog today and he reacted poorly vs I gave my dogs treats all day and just stayed home and he had better outcomes.

I don’t believe there are any studies that can look at the efficacies of such methods properly. Sounds incredibly hard to do from the standpoint of academia. But many balanced trainers achieve success like this. I do respect your decision though. I’m not saying the science is wrong. I do believe positive > aversives. Just thought to offer a different perspective.

@godspurpose07 I don’t know if any of the comments mentioned this yet but my dogs are really sensitive to my emotions. When I adopted my first dog, I was super overwhelmed, stressed and just overall all over the place with my emotions. I 100% believe my dog felt that and reacted accordingly. It’s been a year since and I actively try to be as calm as possible at all times because they feed off my energy. My first dog is soooo much better with his reactivity. He’s the type to get overstimulated easily and when he reaches that threshold, his whole demeanor changes. So I get your frustration completely. Keeping a calm home environment and being confident and calm on walks has helped tremendously. I know it’s easier said than done though. Every day it gets better.

Back