Does it ever get better? What more could we be doing? Reaching the end of our rope

godspurpose07

Gonna try to keep this as concise as possible but I have a feeling this is going to get extremely long long, so I'm sorry in advance.

Background on dog - Link is just over 7 months old. His mother was found pregnant in Mexico, and brought into the US to give birth. He was born in the house of the woman that runs the shelter, and spent his first 8 weeks in a wonderful home with his mother, in a huge custom-built wooden play pen with his siblings. Basically, no abuse, fed extremely nice food once weaned, treated extremely well.

Background on us - It's my first dog ever. My wife grew up with Goldens, but was never part of the training process, and her parents used the typical tools of the time such as choke collars and "dominance" training. We are fully on board with R+, and refuse to consider positive punishment or "balanced" training. I've done probably hundreds of hours of research, but clearly adopting a rescue as our first puppy together was a mistake and we are in over our heads. Our parents are absolutely zero help, as they all refuse to get on board with positive reinforcement in spite of the mountain of research I've sent their way on the subject.

Living situation/Caretaking - His living situation is essentially ideal. We live in a house with a spare bedroom that's "his" room. It connects to the walled-in backyard, which is huge, and he has all the time and space he wants to run around and get his energy out. My wife hasn't been employed since Covid hit, so he has 24/7 care, and gets 2-3 walks a day, plus training every day (relaxation protocol, capturing calmness, recall training, etc). He has every chew, toy, and treat you can imagine, and gets plenty of puzzles, mental stimulation, and physical stimulation.

Things started out great. He was calm, and is incredibly smart. Within a couple weeks, he was almost fully potty trained and knew a bunch of cues (Sit, down, touch, shake, here, watch me). We wanted to get him the best start possible, so we got him into puppy preschool at the local Zoom Room at ~12 weeks. He did just fine there. He started puppy+ training there at 16 weeks and that's where the problems started. They barricaded him off from the other puppies because he couldn't focus at his first puppy+ class, then did it again the second class and ignored him the whole time because basically all he did was bark. They recommended private training, but when my wife took him, they were really unhelpful. He barked the entire time, my wife ended up crying, and we got next to no advice. At that point we pulled him out of classes, as they were doing next to nothing for him.From there, his reactivity got worse and worse. He started barking and lunging at cars, freaking out at nothing randomly, barking at the TV, barking/lunging at people, pulling uncontrollably, and losing his recall. His separation anxiety has gotten so bad that he can't be left alone for more than a minute without losing his mind. We went to a wedding and got a sitter for him, and according to the sitter he barked non-stop for 5 hours straight. Any time someone walks away from him or steps on the other side of a fence from him, he absolutely LOSES IT and has scared a bunch of people. At this point I started doing a lot of research about reactivity, and found out about thresholds and trigger stacking and the like. We started actively working on his reactivity - I'd bring boiled chicken on his walks and have him sit or touch when we saw cars and then give him lots of chicken as the cars passed by. He started rapidly improving, to the point that he'd see a car hundreds of feet away, sit, and stare at me like "hey, where's my treat?!?" Unfortunately, he has since regressed and lunges at basically every car again, and reacts to humans from 30+ feet away.

Interestingly, we had a 6 month birthday party for his entire litter and he was quite literally perfect. I'm guessing he recognized his siblings or something, but he reacts to EVERY new dog and EVERY new person - yet for 4 hours while we had the party, he was an absolutely perfect puppy around ~6 other dogs he hadn't seen in 4 months, and about 10 humans that were complete strangers.

Eventually, we found a behaviorist through the Pet Professionals Guild. She obviously knows what she's doing and is extremely good with dogs, as Link loved her almost immediately and always wants to play with her. She told us that he's not aggressive at all, and gave us a protocol for meeting new people that has been working beautifully. Unfortunately, I've been less satisfied with our work on his reactivity. She introduced some awesome new cues, such as "find it" and throwing treats on the ground for him to find, that are better at distracting him than anything we had previously. However, other than these new methods of distraction and telling us to avoid long walks, crowds, or anything that triggers him, I don't think we've been given anything to work on to make his reactivity any better. We have no drills or protocols or training regimens to work on, and he's progressively getting worse. Even super high value stuff like chicken and cheese won't work anymore (even BEFORE he goes over threshold) - we can't get him to come inside from the backyard, his recall is basically zero, and when he goes over threshold it's like we don't even exist. He is also continually getting more and more frustrated, and has now bitten my wife 4 times. Never hard enough to hurt her, but hard enough to bruise her or break the skin a couple times. We are VERY worried that this will escalate, even though every trainer/vet has told us he's not aggressive and showing no signs of being angry.

Our behaviorist recommended we talk to our vet about meds, so we took him in to our vet and this is where I got the most frustrated. She COMPLETELY dismissed our concerns as "aww he's just a puppy, he'll grow out of it, why would you want to medicate him?!" However, later in the appointment, we asked them to clip his nails, and she refused, telling us that she "didn't have a nurse capable of handling him." So which is it?!?! Is he a sweet, normal little puppy who doesn't need medication, or is he a menace so badly behaved that you can't even clip his nails, something that should be extremely simple for a "normal puppy"? She gave us some natural remedy that is expensive and has done absolutely nothing and then sent us on our way. I really believe he needs some type of meds to help him have a slightly higher threshold and come down from triggers more quickly, but our vet seemed almost offended that we would even consider them and told us some ridiculous unrelated story about how her friend's dog got over behavior like this instead.

Sorry for the super, super long post. What are the next steps here? What more can we do? My wife is incredibly overwhelmed, she cries almost every night and hasn't gotten a good night's sleep in months. We can't go out with friends, we can't see our family, we can't even bring him anywhere. We haven't had a life since his reactivity started ~4 months ago. We love him dearly, and don't want to rehome him. This wouldn't be an option anyway, as there's no way anyone is taking a dog with his level of reactivity. But we're at the end of our rope and don't know what to do. I've seen veterinary behaviorists suggested a few times, but the closest one is hours away and appears to cost close to a thousand dollars per visit. I'm sick of both directions, either being told "aww he's just a puppy he'll grow out of it" and dismissing everything we're going through by some, while being told he's a menace by others. He's such a sweet, smart, amazing puppy.

Puppy Tax:

@godspurpose07 He is gorgeous! I agree with the other poster that he hit his teenager second fear phase, but it also sounds like more - this is about the age that our boy started showing signs of reactivity, too. Ours is also not aggressive. I have a few thoughts.

One, I think you should try a different vet for medication, though you may not get anyone on board until he hits a year. When we went to see our vet, she told us something really interesting that you didn't touch on, so maybe haven't heard. You mentioned that as a baby he had the perfect childhood - high quality food, well kept pen, etc. But his mother, while pregnant, didn't. Our boy is also a rescue, and our vet said that not only is his breed generally more anxious, but puppies whose mothers had poor nutrition when they were in the womb tend to be. So while our boy, just like yours, was raised in a great enviornment, we don't know what his mom went through, and that poor nutrition could have led to issues in development, and potentially some of his anxiety problems. We went in just before thanksgiving for medication, and our vet immediately saw how anxious and upset he was, and prescribed us medication without hesitation. He's now on prozac (lol) and trazodone for when he really needs calming.

Second... absolutely stick with the trainer that you like, that is working, and push through. It has taken a long time for our boy to show progress, and yours is so young! He's still a literal baby! It's going to take time and consistency and, if your experience is anything like ours, a lot of hot dogs - or whatever high value treat y'all use.

You sound like great pet parents, and you clearly want what is best for your boy. That makes a huge difference.

@godspurpose07 He has hit adolescence and the second fear phase. Teenage puppies are a pain in the neck. I don't think you'll get good advice through the internet. Why don't you stick with the trainer?

It's a good idea to limit his exposure, ideally you need to work below threshold anyway. Kikopup on YouTube has great advice.

@adosdall This - he’s going through a very normal fear period that will get better if you handle it properly. Sounds like he’s not super comfortable in new situations, so you want to take it slow and build it up. Have friends come over for short training sessions where they ignore him, throw treats away from them, and let him choose they’re okay. Try out “care for reactive dogs” on desensitization protocols and spend time in places where your dog has some space, like parks, so he can learn the world doesn’t have to be a scary place. And if you’re training, it really will get better with time and with age! You got this

@yttrium This! My dog showed great strides in improvement after we started going to new places with plenty of room away from scary triggers. Since then, he’s shown less reactivity in the neighborhood.

@godspurpose07 I'm so sorry you and your wife are going through this - unlike you, we brought our puppy home at 10 weeks and he was already reactive to dogs and strangers. Fortunately for us, he's also under 6kg and much easier to manage.

He's now 11 months and has come such a long way from where he was - to get here though, I'm not going to lie, there were many times my husband and I did feel he was beyond our ability to cope. I don't know if there's an answer to your question because every dog is different...

Firstly, I agree with other posters suggesting a second opinion/better vet - we did the same after our first vets just weren't accommodating for our boy's reactivity. The second vet immediately prescribed Prozac and now after almost 7 weeks, he's so much better. Not 'normal' but certainly doesn't react as quickly or as intensely as he used to. We also did end up seeing a vet behaviourist to make sure we were on track and she said that with younger dogs, medication could actually work in such a way that with consistent training, we may eventually wean him off them. Tbh, I don't care if we don't get to - he's still a silly little bugger and it hasn't changed his personality one bit.

Secondly, with regards to training and his behaviour not improving... Again, will agree that his age is probably a bigger factor than his reactivity at the moment so what you're doing is largely management. And that is boring and takes forever and will challenge you because you don't think you're making progress but you are!

I hate to say this because it might sound dismissive and it doesn't solve your issues but... It's really a waiting game. At some point in the next few months when his hormones stop raging, your training and his maturity will kick in and you may not even notice. But for now, he's relying on you to be patient with him. So whatever rope you have left, please do hold on!

One thing the vet said to us was that Hendrix our boy is who he is and may never be that happy carefree dog... But that he is in the right home. It's been such a journey for us, same as you so many tears and sleepless nights wondering if we're doing the right things. Link is in the right home!

I definitely meds could help in his case and hope you get a vet that advocates for your pup as much as you do!

@godspurpose07 Def try to get the meds. We got Prozac at 8months old and she’s been on for 2 months. It does make a difference, it’s subtle but her threshold is so much higher. I had to go to my vet a couple times to convince her my young pup needed meds. My vet put her on calming care for 6 weeks it did nothing. I went back with video and a list of the reasons I think she needs the meds and eventually got them.

As for meantime, work on the separation anxiety first (meds will help once you get them) but being able to leave him crated and have time to yourself will help with your sanity.

Also give him time. My dog has been reactive since 4 months maybe earlier. I got her as a puppy and she had no abuse. Sometimes they’re just wired to be insecure and on-edge at all times which is where the meds come in. But even as a genetically predisposed reactive dog, she’s come SO far even in the past 3 months. Adolescence is hard and they don’t really start calming down until a year, with goldens I heard 1.5 years. It does get better, with or without meds you’re at the hardest age right now.

Keep going back to the basics with your training. You’re doing all the right things. Some days you’ll see progress, others regression. Some days you cry a lot and some days you want to mush their face.

You should read through some of the stories on here about meds, my dog had maybe a 20% improvement in thresholds but I’ve read other posts about goldens who has night and day results.

@godspurpose07 I feel you on the frustration. I have a few things that I’ve noticed from your story.
  1. It sounds like the emotional stress he is causing is only making things worse and feeding his reactivity. Your pup is fully aware of your feelings, especially if you’re crying every night. (I have a suggestion in #3 that might help give you guys a break)
  2. I agree and don’t think he is aggressive BUT he is definitely fearful and it seems like he has redirected a few times on your wife. I would suggest muzzle training so everyone can feel a little safer. Some dogs actually feel safer in a muzzle. It can also help tell others to give you space without you having to ask him. I noticed with my pup that there is a better reaction when i walk by without noticing them than trying to ‘warn’ them that my dog is reactive. Like others have said, he is going through his teenage fear phase, and there are things you can do to help him become desensitized to his fears. Which brings me to my next point
  3. From just reading the small amount you posted, it sounds as if he might feel safer around his litter mates. This could be helpful. Maybe try asking if you can go on a walk with one of the litter mates. If that goes well, maybe ask if they could do some play time at your house or theirs. This could possibly help both of you guys if the situation is right and you might be able to thanks their pup for a weekend or drop yours off for a weekend. Getting a weekend off and knowing your pup feels a little safer might be just the reset you all need. He also might not feel like he has to protect at their house since it isn’t his place.
  4. It sounds like you guys could use some guidance on how to do some desensitization. Our pup used to growl at us when we were eating dinner. We finally figured out that it was the clinking of the silverware on the bowls/plates that caused her to growl. I took this knowledge and started to use it to signal something great. I got her some powdered dog gravy that you mix with hot water to mix with her dry food. We mix it in a glass with a metal spoon and make sure to make a lot of clinking noises. Now instead of growling when she hears that sound, she starts licking her lips. This one was easier to do because it is so easy to control all the variables. To be able to control all the variables with dog interactions is a bit more difficult, but there is a way!! Our behaviorist actually brought a life like stuffed dog. He went through A LOT of trouble to make sure that our pup didn’t find out it was fake. He told us, if it is not actively being used in training put it in a big black trash bag, and also never get close enough for her to find out it is fake. The dog he had had wire in it so you could reposition the dog and he made sure the dog was laying down so it wasn’t in a threatening position. While he was setting up the dog, I took my pup on a quick walk and I paid extremely close attention to my dog’s body language as we got closer. As soon as the pup saw the dog silhouette, I said my marker word and gave her a treat. I also gave her a treat when she checked in with me when I asked her to. If she didn’t respond then we would take some steps back so we could figure out her threshold for how close she can get and still be responsive (it could be across a football field or further at first). The biggest thing is to make sure your pup feels safe. The next step I would suggest once he becomes okay with that is to go to the back of a large pet store parking lot on a nice Saturday. People taking their dogs to the pet store are very predictable. They always walk towards the store, and if they are walking out you can use your car to block visuals. The next step is make friends with someone who has a dog doesn’t respond to barking and can play the part of the stuffed dog.
These are just some ideas and steps since you said you felt like you didn’t have anything to work on. I hope this makes sense and is helpful. You can do this, and you are by no means alone!! My pup is 110lbs and barks and lunges at dogs (always) and cars (when she starts to reach her threshold) but I make sure to notice the small wins. She used to bark at every car, but now the first few that go by are fine, and she is showing me she can do it!

@godspurpose07 Agree with most other comments....it’s adolescence time, and that is so craziness! It’s like having a fearful yet sassy teenager around all the time. Hang in there with your professionals (So proud of you and your wife for loving this beautiful boy and really investing your time -and $$ in him).

I agree to try some Prozac. My rescue who is 2, was so calm and sweet when I got her.....then about 3 weeks later LOST HER MIND! Although we are only on week 2 with Prozac, I can see glimmers of hope!

Positive training can take longer in some cases but you’ll never damage your relationship with your dog so I’m so happy that you are doing this.....there’s still so much dominance, pack leader mentality when science clearly shows a better way.

While I can’t think of any immediate fixes, I wonder why he was the dream dog at the party with his siblings? Do you live near any of their parents? It would be lovely to have a doggy play date and see what happens.

I know your trainer is keeping walks short but is there anywhere that you could go that was isolated? Just giving him new things to sniff will engage his mind so you’d be burning off a little energy and working his mind at the same time.

Best of luck! You are doing the right thing and he is SO handsome! Keep us posted! 🐾🐶♥️

@ckm333 Thank you! Him behaving so well at the party is certainly the most confusing thing I've seen from him, but we are attempting to take advantage of that. His littermates are all an hour or further away, which is a rough car ride for him, but one of his sisters is going to stay with us for a week while her owner is on vacation. I'm really hoping that some extended time with her helps him out.

@godspurpose07 Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have a 7 month puppy very reactive since I first got her. One thing I started to realize was the treat giving within threshold to triggers made my pups reactivity worse. Mainly because I was inadvertently rewarding and incentivizing her to scan / look at her surroundings. At one point she did the “ where’s my treat” but it turned into her constantly looking around, eventually the treat didn’t outweigh the benefit and reward of barking and reacting. Recently, I started working with a new trainer who recommended to stop doing that, work on me being the #1 excitement and focus. It’s been a ton of work, working on loose leash walking and building a toy/play drive … but I’ve now started seeing progress. Mainly my dog is more focused on me, no longer constantly looking around.

@godspurpose07 The vet isn’t entirely wrong that he’s just a puppy and that this behavior is partially to do with his age (he’s basically a young teenager now), but her response was pretty frustrating. I say, get a second opinion. If you don’t feel this vet is listening to your concerns, why not try to find someone else who will? She seems kind of biased against anxiety meds.

@godspurpose07 I am sorry you are going through this - I was there a couple months ago- crying almost every day. I do want to say that with meds it gets worse before it gets better but give it a try- you have literally nothing to loose.

We had our dog on Prozac and she was still reactive but he reaction started 2 seconds later which sometimes gave us time to react and distract her. The tossing treats in the ground and saying “find it” helped a lot. She used to react to people across the street and now people can be around 8 ft away (still got work to do)

Other things that have helped are boosting her confidence, we taught her to jump things, go up and down stairs and tables, playground for kids and we celebrated with her and tons of treats everytime she did something new!

Another thing that was HUGEEE for us was getting a balanced trainer- it sound weird and I know some people are completely against it but the slip lead is the only way she learned not to pull when walking. Once she learned to walk slightly behind our heel - we were able to see triggers first and distract her. The structured walk gave her a “job” to do so she just huffs and puffs if people pass by.

In the house we are working a lot on PLACE command and the nothing in life is free protocol where she needs to do something before we pet her and she has to be calmed. For example, when we get home she goes to the door to greet us and we tell her “place” and until she settles down we won’t say hi. This has allowed her to become slightly more calmed. Same for when we are going out of the door - until she sits we won’t go out.

I know I won’t ever have the dog who allows guests and that you can take to the park but she has overcome some many things that I think it’s okay- it took me a couple months or even a year to understand this. At this point my goal is to be able to go on hikes with her.

For now I am celebrating Being able to go for a walk and not come home crying.

I have heard that a treadmill and walking her when she is a bit tired also works wonders so I might give that a try too!

@godspurpose07 Our puppy has similar issues and like yours, he changes in certain environments. He went from being afraid to go out the front door, slowly to the grass, and now whenever we try to walk him in the neighborhood, he must lunge at every thing that he comes near or that he sees, even people just standing in their yard. It scares other people I am sure because it scares me sometimes. He is a large dog that is barking, lunging, and growling.

Oddly enough, he does not do this inside or enclosed areas. He may bark a few times, but we are able to get his attention easier, even by just turning him around.

Our trainer said that it was best that we spent time training him in areas that he feels confident and the neighborhood may just be too much for him right now. So we continue leash training in places like Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Starbucks, and PetSmart. We sometimes go to parks and fenced areas depending on how busy they are.

@godspurpose07 My advice, before reading any of the other comments: go to a new vet. I had a vet like that - she sedated him with Ace to do the appointment but still had the gall to refuse to do a basic blood panel saying it was a waste of money, and didn't even entertain medication as "he seems fine to me" (as he is knocked out). She even suggested that I could just give him Ace when he was nervous, even daily. I noped out of there immediately.

Many vets just don't have a lot of behavioral knowledge. My second vet did not and admitted it - she was very willing to be supportive and find answers for me from specialists, though, which was great. First vet would have never.

I also think it's partially a teenager stage - but some of his issues may just be down to genetics; if you also look into ways mother dogs who are stressed while pups are in utero can change their puppies' DNA - it's fascinating. Not super helpful to you right now, but still very interesting.

I do think your behaviorist should be giving you some active tips to work on, not just management, but I would ask her about that - some will prefer you start with a good foundation of management, because preventing the reactive episodes is really the first step anyway, then you layer training on top.

@godspurpose07 Everyone who says this is normal behavior is in denial, bro. I see a very great behaviorist. My puppy's story is VERY similar to yours and my behaviorist told me straight up that he will always be a tricky dog and the only thing I can do is try and reverse some of it before he matures socially at 18mo.

Your dogs behavior will escalate if he doesn't get better. With reactivity, he will not get better on his own.

Your dog probably needs medication. I know mine does. See a veterinary behaviorist (a specialist) that can prescribe medication, or see a different vet who actually listens to you.

@godspurpose07 I’m new to this thread and following to learn. In a case like this, why would you be against giving the dog corrections to negative behavior (not an attack, just an genuine question)?

I understand wanting to praise good behavior with treats which I agree should be done but if you don’t correct negative behavior, how will the dog know that he is not supposed to do these things, ie lung at cars etc.

It sounds like you adopted at an early enough age where he does not have any previous trauma that would trigger him. So I’m just curious if anyone has had success with correcting negative behavior and praising good behavior.

@chiere My trainer puts this really simply: all behaviour is functional to a dog, they have no concept of right behaviour/wrong behaviour, they’re doing something that has a purpose (eg barking at another dog because they want it to go away) and relying on the history of reinforcement for the thing that has worked best for them in the past (previously when they bark at other dogs, it increases the distance between them). “No” isn’t a behaviour. So correcting a dog is to ascribe the human ability to understand right behaviour vs wrong behaviour and actively choosing to do the wrong thing. Dogs just aren’t capable of that level of cognitive function :)

To apply a correction is to slap on a quick fix patch of suppressing an outward behaviour through the application of something unpleasant, without addressing the underlying outcome - what is the dog is trying to achieve. It’s a lazy and less than ethical way of teaching, and a really shitty way to learn.

Back