Do you purchase your dog’s food from Chewy or your local Petco/Petsmart?

@donnyb Chevy does customer service of the past, it’s incredible. The multiple things they have done for me and how easy they’ve made so many things—I will forever be a chewy customer.

@donnyb I have worked in the pet retail and supplies industry for a long time, I would tell you that the odds of getting a fresher bag are much higher from chewy.

Chewy has something like nine distribution centers that product comes into and goes out of. Petsmart and Petco will have a similar amount, but the added factor of then the product goes to a store and sits for who knows how long depending on the volume of that specific item in the store.

For example, if you are buying a 35 pound bag of chicken and rice, chewy only has to accurately forecast and order for nine individual shipping locations. Petsmart has added complexity of doing that for an additional 1500 store locations. But this is less of an issue for a popular brand like pro plan, you would be surprised at how much stuff you will find already expired on the shelves of Petsmart.

@donnyb I get my ProPlan from my local Petco. Never tried chewy before. But Petco carries my favorite brand of cat litter, and I can't find it anywhere else. So I get the pet food while I'm there getting litter.

@donnyb Petco offers a 10%-20% discount just for purchasing online and picking it up in store, so I always opt for that. I also buy Purina Pro Plan, it makes the price much more reasonable.

@donnyb Costco.

$37 for 40 pounds.

My brain would love auto ship but my bank account reminds me to take my butt to the store.

Unrelated, stopped ordering from Chewy because I've had some subpar customer service experiences and just stopped trying.

@donnyb I usually get my dogs food from petsmart or pet supplies plus. He eat purina pro. I haven’t had an issue with any of my dog food and have ordered it for years.

@donnyb I try not to order larger items (like bags of dog food) from chewy only because I’ve had items stolen from my apartment porch immediately after delivery.

@donnyb Autoship from Petco, which is the closest store to us. They usually have a local doordash delivery from the store,, which was surprising. Autoship to make sure I never run out of dog food and to get a small discount. Petco instead of Chewy because there were enough horror stories in the reviews on Chewy (spoiled food, bugs, etc) that I decided against it.

@donnyb Petsmart bc I work at Banfield inside of one. I know the stock is fresh and doesn’t last long on the shelves. They have great management crew and rewards program. 😁

@donnyb Grocery store.

On chewy (where I live) it’s $63 US, at a grocery store it’s $23 US, and at the LP it’s $67.
I don’t spend money on big box stores, seeing how they handle their livestock it upsets me.

@donnyb I always get our Pro Plan at Petsmart! I have nothing against using Chewy, I just could never get the auto ship dates to align with when we would be ready for a new bag of food! It's just as easy for me to stop by Petsmart and pick up a bag when we are ready for it!

@donnyb I used to order all of my non Rx pet food from Amazon, and the Rx diets from Chewy. Amazon changed their shipping contracts, and now USPS does their deliveries in my area, instead of UPS. USPS does not offer delivery to my home, as this area is very rural. I did not want to have to drive to the post office, load all of it into my vehicle, then unload it again at home to carry it into the house, so now I have all of my pet food subscriptions through Chewy. Their customer service is outstanding. I have never had a bad batch of canned food or kibble from either source.

@donnyb i usually got mine from chewy and never had any issues with purina pro plan sensitive stomach & skin salmon and rice kibbles including adults and puppies for my doodles. sometimes if it’s emergency then i will go to either petco or petsmart. even small local shops (depending if they actually carry them or not). the chewy customer service is fantastic!