[Discussion] Picking Studs

jeffwilly001

Hey all o/

A few of you have probably seen me around. This is a topic I've been idly thinking about; it's not something I'm in particular need of, mind you. (It'll be 2-4 years before I need to actually find a stud myself, and my breeder intends on assisting.)

But I'm curious, so... if you're willing to share, tell me how you pick studs.

Potential Questions to address, if you own the bitch and are seeking the stud:

- What do you look for in a stud?

- Is distance from you a factor?

- How do you select a dog to match yours?

- How far ahead of time do you look?

- Does age matter?

- What other factors do you look at?

Potential Questions to address, if you own the stud and are vetting bitches:

- How often do you use your male?

- How do you price the fee?

- What do you look for when vetting bitches? (All of the same questions above)

@jeffwilly001 I have a stud and also use outside studs.
What I look for:
Health testing (real health testing, not just Embark!), health, temperament, and evidence that the desired traits actually pass to his pups. Also the obvious breed-specific traits I’m looking to enhance in my lines.
Distance really does matter. It’s an expense of time and money that I need to consider.
I also need a stud owner I want to work with (no crazies please!)
I look years ahead, as I do with all my breeding decisions.
Yes, age does matter. I wouldn’t consider a dog under two or over 8, and I’d want to see fertility evaluations of any dog over 5.

We use our male two to three times a year for ourselves and stud him out about four times a year.

@jeffwilly001 - What do you look for in a stud? Pedigree, quality, complimentary traits to my bitch.

- Is distance from you a factor? I have a large breed, so somewhat, though I would fly her for the right match. I am planning to use a stud dog next summer about 13 hours away from me in another country (a drivable distance) though I may do a chilled shipment instead depending on the timing.

- How do you select a dog to match yours? I go to local and national events and dog shows and watch dogs as well as listen to other experienced people and watch dogs' offspring grow up in the ring.

- How far ahead of time do you look? A year +

- Does age matter? Older is better as far as longevity goes and seeing that outcome of their previous offspring; however, there is some fertility issues in older dogs. I have a few dogs on ice to use in the future.

- What other factors do you look at? Health, temperament, if I am able to work with the stud dog owner personally lol

Potential Questions to address, if you own the stud and are vetting bitches:

- How often do you use your male? I only use my males 0-2 times as I don't have a lot of dogs here. I store them on ice for later use potentially.

- How do you price the fee? The price of a puppy or 2nd pick.

- What do you look for when vetting bitches? I look at the quality of the bitch, if I think it will be complimentary to my dog (I don't want him throwing offspring that I don't think will look or be nice), and I require an echocardiogram by a board certified cardiologist on the bitch. Also is the bitch owner someone I can work with?