Did I make a mistake?

@emilysmith You are doing great. A lot of people wouldn’t go to the lengths you are to make sure he is entertained. I’m a doctor working stupid shifts. My dog is now 17months and is fine on her own for 8 or so hours and she is a traditionally needy breed (although personally has no separation anxiety as I worked hard to prevent this in the early days).

Your dog will just sleep, I promise you. Even if he is a bit unsettled at first he will get over it quickly.

@thisistherealme What are some methods you took to prevent separation anxiety early on? I’ve been trying the same. When she’s ready for a nap putting her in crate and seeing me leave but putting herself to sleep and coming back when I see she starting to get restless but not going to crate right away. Is this good method?

@emilysmith Also a nurse and doing exactly the same thing. I had dogs before my puppy and they were fine with the schedule/amount of alone time as long as I played/exercised with them on my days off and had a dog walker/friend to help. I think puppy phase will be a little rougher than adopting an adult dog, but I have lots of coworkers who have gotten puppies and they’ve been fine.

@emilysmith It will be completely fine! I have a similar schedule and I’m doing it on my own. I have a sitter come in twice a day on my work days. The upside is that I’m home with him 4 days a week!

@emilysmith He’ll do fine and you already love him! It won’t be long before he’s grown up enough to be trusted in a safe room with bed and toys. The more love and security he feels from the two of you
The more he will adapt. You’ve started out great!

Back