Daycare owner implied that I’m mistreating my puppy

@mugen I'm a bit confused by this list, it seems to be a mix of good things, bad things, and neutral things? Was the owner implying they were all bad? Or were there specific things he was concerned about? Depending on that I could see this being anything from a "weird interaction but maybe ok" to "run away screaming". I'm most confused by the "Does not have a collar" item. Did your dog have a collar but slipped out? Did you drop him off without one (it seems like they would have mentioned it right away?)

The things like not responding to name/commands is totally normal for a 13 w/o puppy in a completely new environment, with new people, and possibly with other dogs/distractions around. It's an exciting situation for a growing puppy, and it's totally normal to see "regression" at times (I wouldn't even call it regression -- he's just not ready for that level of distraction while having to behave yet!)

@ck90 What pushes this into “run away screaming” for me is the 40 minute lecture. If you have concerns you say “here are my concerns” and then that’s it. You don’t lecture for 40 minutes.

This was a puppy in a new and over stimulating environment. If the day care owner can’t see that then he isn’t good with dogs.

@rajvir Agreed about the lecture. I have had a 40 min call about my dogs behavior, but we were creating a mutually supportive training/schedule to promote success. My dog needed a different plan, so he could enjoy the day and be safe. He takes an extended lunch break with a puzzle and chills in the office for a nap, he needs a forced nap time like a Kindergartener.

@ck90 Owner implied that “shying away,” no interest in resources, and “distant” were bad/concerning because he’d never seen them before at the daycare. They require martingale collars to be on dogs at the daycare, but my pup had a harness on (recommended by yet another trainer) because he lunges and chokes on martingales.

Thanks for validating my thoughts. This felt like a kindergarten teacher yelling at a kid for using crayons “wrong” or something. But see my other comment on understanding the owner’s POV.

@amximuspitta5158 Yeah, that’s a huge red flag to me. This does not sound like a daycare, but a training facility, where dogs primarily interact with trainers, not other dogs.

It’s dangerous to leave a bunch of collared dogs on the floor with only a handful of staff, way too easy for them to get strangled during normal play.

@imagebeastmarkbeast i would still be wary of leaving him in a crate even with the breakaway collar. does he have enough room to generate enough force to actually get it to break away if necessary?

I'm just imagining how much space my dog takes up when he's trying to pull and it seems like it's about twice as much as usual, even if he's not going anywhere.