Dad Shaved Husky’s Fur!! How to keep her cool w/o her coat?

@thepozz I wanted to say this directly to you so that you see it. Invest in a Fur-minator or Fur-nado. It's a blowout device used by groomers on huskies, the Fur-nado blows it out like a blowdrier and the Fur-minator sucks it out like a vacuum. Warning, use the Fur-nado outside not inside.

@lee7953 Yeah I have a dog groomer friend who told me about that. I was gonna get it too because we literally were talking about it the same day my dad shaved her. Pain…

But ig I can still get it and help her shedding

@thepozz Yes this will help for the future so he feels less desperate. Also get HEPA air filters for the house and Swiffer sweepers if you have hard floors (up your vacuum game if you have carpet, the Shark is worth it, it has great tools for getting in corners to get that persistent hair, vacuum any furniture she is allowed on at least once a week). Clean out your dryer vent tube that goes outside and connects to the back of the dryer, and religiously clean the lint trap every time you use it. This will keep the fur to a minimum on clothes and inside the house. But, I did all of this, and my husky died 3 years ago, the most recent tuft of fur I have found was back in November, a full two years after she crossed the rainbow bridge, in a pair of old boots. So even with all that effort you'll still find fur in the most interesting places.

@thepozz Poor baby. Since huskies are double coated, it can be difficult to get their coats to grow back properly once they’ve been shaved.

Since a dog can’t help but shed, perhaps you should find a way to penalize your father for something he has no choice but to do.

@ambience00
Since huskies are double coated, it can be difficult to get their coats to grow back properly

This is slightly more nuanced than a lot of people beleive.

Cutting or shaving hair has absolutely no effect on its growth. It will shed out when it was going to anyway and grow back exactly as it did before.

However, the outer coat sheds less often and grows slowly, so it will take a long time for the cut hairs to grow out. It is not difficult to get it to grow back normally, it just takes time.

If the dog is shaved annually, it'll probably never grow back to how it was: this is not because the hair growth has been altered but simply because it was cut again before it fully grew out.

@chopzor It's like the insulation in your house, keeps you cool in the summer, warm in the winter...take the insulation out and you're either burning or freezing, with the added risks of bug bites and sunburn if shaved too short. It's fine for other dogs like Yorkies or shih tzus because their hair is like ours, it keeps growing and no double coated insulation. We cut our hair off and we feel cool..it's not the same for a husky or a German Shepard. I have almost a decade of grooming experience.

@chopzor Basically from my understanding a double coat has two layers like ducks do- thick, longer hair (the topcoat) that grows further from the skin and is the protective layer.

The under coat is fluffier and fuzzier and makes a layer of air between the topcoat and the skin. This provides insulation, because its harder to transfer heat or cold through a cushion of air! Much like puffer jackets, the coat can be thicker or thinner, or used in different animals (birds and big mammals).

When you shave a double coated dog, you mess up the layering? Or the growth pattern? Someone help. And basically this means their coat can't do its job anymore. It's broken the layer of insulation and it's harder for these dogs to cool without that help.

@chopzor The fur just doesn’t grow back right. It grows back unevenly and more coarse. For example, I can always tell at my doggy daycare which poms get shaved and which don’t because the coat of the poms that get shaved just feel awful to the touch. Well kept coats on Pomeranians are often pretty soft.