Cutting extremely overgrown large dog nails?

bretneyc

Figured this might be a place to ask. Got a dog from my ex who hasn't been to the vet and hasn't had his nails trimmed in 4 years. Some are going sideways now and he has recently starting limping (yesterday he seemed to be walking funny but today he is actually limping so I wasnt imagining it lol) and I think it's due to his nails. I've never trimmed dog nails, I have 2 small/medium breed dogs and I take them to a groomer for nails trims and baths. I'm at a loss for what to do with him because his nails are so thick and I've never even cut my own dog's nails. He's reactive and very large (over 100lbs) and I don't think taking him to a groomer would be an easy task at all. He barely let's me touch his feet but I think I could trim them easier than a groomer bc of his temperment (he's not reactive to me, but he just pulls away lol) he knows me really well and trusts me he's just nervous, and I just really don't know how/I'm honestly really scared to. I've heard a drimmel or whatever is good but his nails are bad and some are broken/have been broken and I feel like theyre just extremely sensitive and I'm afraid it might hurt him. I was thinking to get clippers but I was confused about sizing? Is there a certain one I should use for larger nails? His nails are clear so I think it won't be too bad finding where to stop but I get so nervous about which way to cut them which is why I don't even do my own dogs- do I have to cut at an angle??? I'm also gonna take him to the vet but I'd like to trim his nails as soon as possible and see if that helps in the mean time. Also if anyone has any advice on grooming him at home, I'm pretty sure he also hasn't had a bath in like 4 years and I think he has urine stains on his legs. I'd like to try to clean him up at home before I try a groomer. Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask, I literally just looked up a grooming sub and found this. I'm a little worried about taking him to the vet, one for his reactiveness and two because of his nails/he has Hotspot on his arm and in-between one of his toes and along w not being to the vet in 4 years it just looks bad lmao I feel like they're gonna judge me for his condition when I'm just trying to do better for him.

@bretneyc I'm not a groomer, and I'm not skilled at grooming, but I do foster for a rescue and one of my recent fosters was big and PETRIFIED of the groomer/vet. She'd growl when scared and might try to bite if pushed hard enough.

When you take your dog to the vet/groomer, be honest and upfront with them about his reactivity, but know that vets and groomers do have a lot of experience working with scared and reactive dogs. Usually the vet will muzzle them, and may prescribe an oral sedative or use an injectable sedative. The groomer who worked with my foster preferred not to use a muzzle, and was able to manage her with just a lot of patience and a tool called a groomer's helper.

It sounds like your poor pup is stressed and in pain/discomfort; hopefully relieving that pain and giving him some time to decompress will really help ease reactivity/grooming difficulties in the future. I'd also suggest putting in the time to muzzle-train him; that will make future vet and groomer visits much easier all around.

Edit to add: Please don't worry about the vet or groomer judging you for the pup's poor condition! They won't shame you either way (it's so unproductive to shame someone for seeking care for a neglected pet), but as soon as you explain that the dog only recently entered your care, they'll understand. And they'll appreciate you bringing him in and helping him out!

@bretneyc Im a groomer, first off, if you think you can take him to the vet and the only reason for you not to do it its judgement, dont think that.

You trying to fix a situation and the vet can help you, who knows, maybe even show you for next time. mostly if he didnt get his nails cut in so long, he might freak out, but you could try. dont do dremel, that just for finishing, it would take too long to dremel this and it can get hot and hurt him. if you really want to try, theres different size clippers, just find one who fit the nail. they make some where it tell you where to stop, but I never tried those, i dont know if they work.

whatever you do. DO NOT... DO NOT... use the "guillotine" ones

@bretneyc At the last visit they couldn’t complete her nails and said they want me to sedate my dog more. Is this normal? I have a Frenchie that hates it but never have I had these issues with my past pups, but the groomer did them. I’m beginning to think the groomer might be able to manage it better than the vets office. Anyone else?

@smallblessings It’s normal for dogs to not behave as well in some environments than others. Additionally, dogs can just have “off days” too just like us. The vet is typically a lot scarier and more intimidating for some pets. Definitely a benefit to going to the groomers is staying with the same individual who already was successful in doing it.

@abby1234 I will try a groomer and see. I’m terrible at the grinder and it’s so time consuming & I’m sure I’m not even doing a good job. I don’t mind cleaning them up but am afraid of clippers.

@bretneyc I’m just a dog bather but here’s my advice. Nail clippers from what I’ve seen come in small (cat size), regular, and large. You would definitely want the large if they are over 100 pounds with thick nails. Firstly, I would not recommend cutting any of the nails that are broken as those are going to be extremely sensitive. If they let you get away with getting a little bit off then that’s great but I wouldn’t push it. Make sure you hold the clippers at the bottom of the handle to more easily clip the nails. I would suggest watching nail trimming videos on youtube so you can more easily see what to do. In short, you will look at the nail underneath (since they are clear you can see from the side) and take off small pieces at a time. I wouldn’t worry too much about the angle since they are already so long but you should try to stay within or around 45. Make it a positive experience by giving praise and introduce the nail clippers slowly by letting them sniff and interact. Very slowly rub their leg and then move your hand down to their foot without lifting it just to make a smooth transition if they are particularly jumpy. if they aren’t behaving don’t let go of their foot. If they keep yanking away and you let go, it will reinforce that behavior in them. (Although this is a tricky task with a 100+ pound dog). As for bathing, I I’m not sure what breed they are but if they have long fur make sure you 100% dry them after their bath or they can get matted.

@bretneyc I think it wouldn't hurt to call your usual groomer and ask and be VERY honest about the situation. Don't try to guilt trip, but be clear that you're in over your head. You'll probably be redirected to a vet, though.

A full vet checkup probably wouldn't go amiss, though. If the previous owner neglected his nails, who knows if he has a skin issue or an ear infection or bad teeth or god only knows what else wrong with him. In my personal experience, when dogs get painful things taken care of, they calm down and are less fearful of everything. It might be expensive, but there's stuff like carecredit and payment plans that can help.

@bretneyc okay i have a question, would it be okay to cut my dogs nails sideways? instead of having the clippers pointing towards the side, cut with the point facing them? if that makes any sense? my dogs nails are thick and i feel like it creates a lot of pressure on her when i cut them regularly.