Chicken allergies & PPP shredded beef

jasperr

Hi! Does anyone here successfully feed their dog with chicken allergies Purina Pro Plan shredded beef? It has poultry by-product meal which makes me hesitant. I tried to reach out to Purina to ask them but they’re not answering.

She’s currently on PPP sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice (puppy version) but doesn’t really enjoy it. Her poops have been very good though since we moved her to that one when she was around 4mo old - prior to that she had mucus-y diarrhea all the time and when she was tested everything came back negative and the vet suggested we try any protein other than chicken.

She’s turning 1 next month so I’m going to transition her to an adult food. She used to LOVE the PPP shredded chicken and has a couple times gotten a taste of that when she stole some of our relatives’ dog’s food when we thought she had finished hers already.

If anyone has any other chicken-free options we can try, let me know! I would prefer grain inclusive diets that haven’t been linked to DCM.

@jasperr If your dog has a true chicken allergy then that one won't work. But chicken allergies are often misdiagnosed, especially in puppies -- and especially if the symptoms were GI-related. That could just be the formula that wasn't agreeing with her, not the protein source.

So it probably won't hurt to try the beef in transition and see how it goes. It's possible just lowering the amount of chicken and trying a different formula will help her.

If it doesn't work you could try the lamb version of the sensitive skin and stomach maybe?

@sevilodorf Thank you! That could very well be - I know my in-laws gave her multiple chicken nuggets (…) one time and I was expecting shit to hit the fan (literally) the next day but nothing happened… so it might not be chicken. And yeah, her symptoms were exclusively GI-related, she doesn’t really itch or get ear infections or anything.

I think I’ll get her the small bag and slowly introduce it and see how we do with it before I fully commit to a big bag.

@sevilodorf We have tried several different brands that were all chicken based with my pit and had GI symptoms with nothing else- we switched to PPP SSS salmon and rice and it got better a little (soft stool as opposed to diarrhea) but still isn’t solid. Given that we’ve changed brands, what else would it be related to?

@sevilodorf Had the same issue with my GP! He eats salmon and rice and when I can’t find it, I get lamb. I’ve found that adding bone broth or a meal topper encourages him to eat better and he gets more excited about his food.

@corena30 I’ve been mixing half a tablespoon of the PPP SSS wet food in hers to get her more amped up about her food too! I tried broth but she’s not into it, might have to try a different brand. I just don’t wanna get too fancy with her food and cater to her pickiness so that if anyone else has to look after her, they don’t have to jump through hoops to feed her. She had really bad appetite for a while when we started her on fluoxetine for anxiety but that seems to have subsided since she’s eating pretty good again.

If the shredded beef causes issues, I’ll see if she likes the lamb one more. She’s not an extraordinarily picky dog so I assume she’d like it.

@jasperr My dog didn’t like PPP salmon and rice either. Try Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potatoe recipe. No more skin allergies and poops are really solid. It’s grain inclusive and recommended by my vet. Hope this helps.

Back