Chart to show owners length?

fxxs

So I am a groomer in training under a groomer of 30 years, not really relevant but I’ll say it anyway. I do everything but faces and tails, that’s January.

We were talking and we were wondering if there is a way to make some king of chart with some hair or something to show owners how if they come in more (or brush their dog more) they can keep them longer, because we have a few(doodle people) clients who insist on waiting LONGER to bring their dog in so that they have longer fur. I’m talking we will do the dog in a one and that doodle won’t be back for 3 months because they wanted them longer, but didn’t brush them during that time.

Does anyone know of what would work for this, we just need suggestions on what to use as the fur/hair that could be long enough to show an E comb but still look right to show a 5 guard possibly even down to just 5 and 7 blades, for our extreme mat reasons.

@fxxs Tbh, you can show them all the charts in the world, they're not going to learn until they have to deal with the consequences. I no longer dematt, if they don't brush, it gets shaved, and I charge. If they won't stay on MY schedule, they can try to find a groomer elsewhere. Neglect is hard on me and my tools.

I also got rid of my charts because I found it made the clients more picky when the length didn't exactly match the chart - thin coat, curly coat, straight coat, double coat, whatever reason it was different. Now I ask if they want long or short, and then do they want SHORT short (7 or 5 depending on dog), or short and fluffy (3/8-1/2 cc). If they want long, I use the dog's coat to estimate the length they want ie. leave half or 3/4 of the length.

Usually it's close enough that they don't "need" it fixed and next time they come in, they will know if they want it a little longer or shorter and then I just go up or down a length.

@%E2%98%A6marius%E2%98%A6 Most of our are great, it’s a few that could benefit from seeing something like well if you do x length you need to come in at most this far apart or something of the sorts. It wouldn’t be out for all to look at at all times but if we know we have someone like that just stick it out for them to notice or pull it out and show them what it means. But I can definitely see it doing what you said. If even a few of that small group realize what we are saying with a visual/ hard image like fur that would be great. We are definitely looking to get rid of some problem clients who are late/don’t show and don’t come often enough for the dog

@fxxs Faux fur, and it can’t be the super cheap stuff either (like the cheap trim from Michaels/hobby lobby) or it’s too thin and flat. You need a good thick pile. I work corporate and they recently sent us new fur strips to shave… but the fur is so cheap and thin it barely catches in the blade at all.

However I agree with the other commenter that sometimes it causes more issues than it solves. On some thin haired dogs, you can still see skin on a 3 and a 4 looks like a 7.