Can my dog still go to the groomers in heat?

diychristian

She’s been in heat for about 5 days, and has her first groomers appointment in 2 days. I forgot to ask if it was okay. She’s a 6 lb, 7 month old Pomeranian and I’m bringing her to petsmart.

She was at banfield when I made the appointment and I didn’t think to mention it. Tia! :)

@diychristian I would mention it to the groomer. I know that I'd rather not groom a dog that is in heat for two main reasons. One is that it (may) add more cleaning to the mix, and the other is that it (may) make other dogs in the salon act up.

@diychristian To be fair, and not to be shady at all, but she may very well bleed more than you realize. She may not, though. I don't know.

At any rate, I would call them, let them know that she's in heat and you didn't even think about it, and reschedule when she's out. You'll get big brownie points with your groomer for the thoughtfulness alone, because most people don't consider our comfort for a second. If you go ahead and take her, well, I don't know what the opposite of brownie points are...

@girlis62 Ty, but by the comments a lot of people said it’s inconvenient and they hate it so I’m just gonna wait a few weeks so the groomers don’t already hate me lmao

@diychristian It only bugs me when I'm not aware of it. I'll still accept a dog in heat but ofc careful with no other dogs being around her, etc. Then ofc being aware of the fact I may end up with her blood on me 😂 I only get annoyed when I'm not warned lol

@diychristian I don’t groom dogs in heat. It riles up any male dogs in the salon, it’s messy/inconvenient/gross for the groomer, the dog might not be feeling their best. I would personally reschedule until after their heat is over.

@preng Thissssss. Some (like, a lot, in my experience) really act up when they're in heat too! I won't hesitate to send a lot of dogs home in ANY state of "un-groomed" if they're in heat too lol

@ngole I totally agree. I find it very difficult to groom dogs when they’re in heat and to be quite honest it’s pretty gross considering how many times were in close proximity to their groin. I really wish I could just ask ppl to wait but most of the time I don’t know(and sometimes they don’t know) until the dog gets there and they’re on my table. 😐

@novs Smart leaves it up to the groomer if it’s slow I’ll do them as an express. Personally I think it’s better to wait until after which is about 2 weeks after bleeding stops which is around when the vulva and nipples should no longer be swollen. That way you can clean the blood and heat scent off. Otherwise you’re just going to end up giving your dog another bath after it’s out of heat.