Boyfriend doesn't want to get dog spayed, I do. (x-post /r/dogs)

shaon

Hey guys!

I have a question. Or rather, a problem. I have a dog who just turned one. It’s a female and I want to spay her. I am quite sure of that, but my boyfriend (we’ve been together for 1.5 years, so we were in a relationship before I bought my dog) is against spaying dogs. I already made an appointment for my pup to be spayed, but when I told my boyfriend he got really upset and a bit angry. We talked about it and for now we’re good, but he still doesn’t agree with my decision. I want to solve this as far as possible because I don’t want it to become a big problem between my boyfriend and me. I really love him and I want to stay with him. I do want more dogs in the future, but if we can’t agree on this subject it’s going to be difficult for us.

I want to spay my dog because I don’t want any puppies from her and because I live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs so a dog in heat is really annoying. More importantly, being in heat is hard for my dog. She feels weird every time so far (she has been in heat twice now) and she doesn’t understand her behavior herself. So it’s very confusing for her what’s happening. She hasn’t tried to escape yet, but she behaves differently from her normal self. It takes quite long for all of this behavior to go away after her heat and when they’re gone her next heat will come already. Another reason to get her spayed is that I want her to be healthy and feel healthy for as long as possible. I’ve read that not spaying a female dog and also not breeding a dog increases the risks of certain types of cancer.

I’ve talked about all these reasons with my boyfriend, but he still doesn’t want my dog to be spayed. He thinks it’s not natural and it’ll take something away from her (personality-wise). I understand it might change my dog a bit and of course there are certain risks with a surgery like this. But I don’t think spaying a dog is unnatural. For me not breeding a dog who is not spayed is more unnatural.

Reddit, please help me. I want my dog to be spayed, but I also want my boyfriend to be happy about how I raise my dog.

@shaon Your boyfriend is an idiot. Please get your dog spayed, and tell him you'll consider his opinion when he becomes a vet.

You know all of the benefits to spaying, stick to your guns. Your dog will be much happier and healthier.

@shaon It will not change her personality. Get her spayed. Do it without your boyfriend's knowledge if you have to. Then he will see it doesn't change her personality. She is YOUR dog. He has no right to tell you how to take care of your dog.

If the dog were for both of you my answer might be different. Honestly he just sounds ignorant to what spaying actually means for dogs.

@shaon We just rescued a female dog from the street and she went into heat within the first week. - You're BF possibly doesn't realize the effort and maintenance that it entails. I got lucky and she is a small (~10lb) dog and wiping her bottom with tissues usually does the trick for menstration blood...but if you have a big dog, I can't imagine the amount of discharge that she can expel. They have diapers to help avoid getting blood on your stuff...but still, that too is a hassle with changing and washing the diapers multiple times a day.

It sounds like it is your dog, and if you ever part ways with the Boy, the dog is staying with you. You ought to be able to choose and decide how to best treat your puppy.

IMO, it is in her and your best interests to get her fixed. You should get her fixed.

Best of luck!