My dog hates my boyfriend and I don’t know what to do anymore

@ouncez If we’re hanging out on the couch, Mudd has no issue with Chris petting him. If he’s already started barking, he’ll run out of reach and continue barking

@sevnheads This may sound extremely weird. But Poodles can have some herding tendencies. Is it possible that Mudd is trying to herding you and Chris into the same area so that he can see both of you easier? Mudd is probably anxious about losing his first pack and is now trying to make sure his new pack doesn't go anywhere.

@sevnheads So Mudd is still nervous around Chris.. but when sitting, Chris isn't' as tall or intimidating.

Has Chris given Mudd treats? Good, high value stuff? This is something I'd start with sitting down, and tossing them just behind Mudd so Mudd doesn't have to fight his fear of Chris to go for the treat.

@laurencem Lots of treats have been given. Mudd’s favorites are hot dogs and cheese. We’ve tried having Chris enter a room and toss treats to him, but we’ll try that!

@sevnheads Try having Chris already in and seated when Mudd comes in. That should cut the intimidation factor a bit. Hot dogs are a great idea - to get more mileage out of them, you an try kibble soaked in hotdog water, too.

@laurencem My chihuahua hates tall men. My ex boyfriend was frustrated with her because she loved him when he was petting her, but as soon as he put her down or stood up, the barking would start back up again. She would also bark at my brother’s tall friends. She was my parents dog at the time, and then I broke up with him, so I don’t have any resolution there, but, just a suggestion about what’s triggering it.
Have you tried clicker training? I had amazing success with my other dog-aggressive chis doing that.

@donald2222 Neither of us are tall, and I think I’m actually a little taller than Chris, so that can’t be it. It could be his beard, but we’re not sure yet. As far as clicker training, we experimented with it very briefly, but Mudd was scared of the noise. We still may revisit it though

@sevnheads
Code:
I have a JRT×Poodle that was the same way with my son and husband. It took a little over a year, but she doesn't do it with my husband anymore. She still does it with my son, but he graduated and moved out, so she hardly ever sees him. She does this with any mam that comes in the house. 
We tried for a bit to have the guys throw treats for her, but she wouldnt take them.  She just finally got used to him over a good but of time.  She would play with him and let him pet her, but I'd have to pick her up and give him to her to him if he wanted to pick her up, because she would bark and run from him.  She had come from a home where the man of the house wasn't very nice to her. I dont know if he mistreated her because she was that way with him or that's why she's that way with men.

@docshay That definitely crossed our minds. Mudd does a lot of the same things your dog does, so that’s still on the table. Mudd is such a sweet, smart dog otherwise so I hate to think that he was being treated poorly

@sevnheads Maybe Chris should go to the doctor? Not to freak you out but dogs are extremely intuitive to people with illnesses even illnesses they don’t know about or cannot feel. Maybe Mudd is trying to alert Chris rather than alert you that Chris exists.

By the way you say Mudd lets Chris pet them and never bites or nips it seems as though they are not trying to be aggressive with Chris but perhaps playful or again, alertive.

Is it also possible that YOU are pregnant? I have also commonly heard that once a couple gets pregnant dogs get more vocal towards the father.

I’m not saying any health concerns are likely but it may be worth checking up on.

@sevnheads When my first puppy (a Corgi) with my ex did that, I thought it was a training issue. Then she started actively destroying anything that smelled like him.

She hated him so much she wouldn’t take food from him, and this is a Corgi - Corgis will do just about anything for food but she wouldn’t eat anything if he’d touched it. She wouldn’t let him pet her. She tried to guard me from him. She was all of 5 months old.

I found out why she hated him so much when I came home early one day and caught him kicking her for disobeying him. If your dog is that opposed to your guy, wonder why.

I kept the dog and dropped the ex. Best decision ever, my little Corgi lived 12 years.

@timesoftrouble I’m so sorry you and your pup experienced that! It’s certainly a valid reason for your dog to hate your ex!

Fortunately, I’m confident that Chris isn’t the issue. He’s the sweetest man and he doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. He loves the dog, even with the barking.

@timesoftrouble I have heard too many stories of “He’s such a great guy” turning into animal abuse and child molestation that I don’t think I could ever trust without verifying (in a situation where the dog is clearly fearful).

It’s one thing for me to trust my life and safety to another person. It’s a different thing for me to trust the life and safety of my pets - animals who depend on me to be their advocate. That requires a higher bar.

I’d also refuse to date anyone who didn’t agree.

@elizabeda777 It reads aggressive to me, especially since it’s non-stop. Sometimes he growls, but it’s usually just barking. He doesn’t bite, but he will jump. When he wants to play, he’ll often bring a toy over, or he’ll do a single bark if we’re not paying attention.

Back