Biggest fear has been realized. ACD nipped the baby (help)

@kathleenloveschrist I appreciate your honesty and advice. Sadly I know deep down we are heading towards rehoming. I'm just so broken hearted to actually do it. And yes I know how strong these dogs are. But I assure you... I've been hit harder on the ass by my wife than I hit the dog. I am honest that I got physical bc I don't want to lie. But I know I need to reign it in bc I agree it's not OK.

@motherapple If this is the only context he’s being aggressive with the baby, and you are able to manage getting enough exercise and mental stimulation for them, I don’t think re-homing is the only solution. If they were being aggressive in other ways, then maybe that’s something to think about, but in this context, he’s kinda doing the best he can for someone he recognises as a dependent part of the family, and there are a lot of benefits to that kind of behaviour (like when the kid is older and starts playing in the yard/street, etc, you pretty much got a full time nanny who will always keep tabs on them), but I get that you have to consider if you have the energy and patience to work through a period of successfully curbing the extremities of that behaviour while the baby is so vulnerable.

In saying that, I don’t have any personal experience with this kind of situation from the perspective of a parent, so take it all with a grain of salt, but I did grow up as the kid of a family in this kind of situation. I don’t think our heeler was around when I was a baby, but I have very early memories of how protective he was of me, and how gentle he was with me. If anyone but my parents (even them sometimes too lol) tried to pick me up, he absolutely was not having it. An annoying inconvenience when you’re trying to carry a sleeping toddler in from the car, but big peace of mind when I’m off playing in the yard, on a busy street with a lot of people walking by, some definitely not the kind of folk you want within any proximity of your children, but woe to anyone who might try anything with that dog around.

The main catalyst that made it work in our situation was that he was so gentle with me. He would nip my ankles when someone was holding me and wouldn’t put me down (no blood or bruising, but the same scary enough thing with your baby), but when I was interacting with him, god, he couldn’t have been more loving and patient. I used to climb on his back and pretend he was a motorcycle, like hold his ears like they were the handlebars, like in that classic questionably rough way kids can be with pets, and he didn’t bat an eye.

My point is just to consider all the details of your situation. If our dog was ever directly aggressive towards me, my parents definitely would’ve rehomed him. Even if it was in that way, where they can’t really help it because their rescues who have some ptsd issues (thinking about a heeler we had later in life who was so sweet, just the best in so many ways, but would only give you one warning if you ever tried to touch her butt before just ripping your hand off. In this context, my dad probably would’ve been too nervous about if I touched the dogs butt accidentally, etc, but then also some dogs, like the one I grew up with, have extended patience for the ones they know are more delicate and dependent, so yeah, have to consider the dogs personality)

Lol I guess what I’m saying is, make a graph with protective and helpful benefits on one axis, and negative aspects on the other, and then see where your specific situation lands. Good luck! I hope you can get to a solution where everyone is safe and happy.

@motherapple I just want to support you as it must have been very scary. And I understand all kinds of thoughts must be rushing through you at moments of high stress, and you may feel extreme measures may need to be taken.

It may not make any material difference to you, but it doesn't sound like your dog was being aggressive. ACDs are nippers, and that's just how they are. Your dog sounds like he's got great bite inhibition, such that a baby's skin remains intact. The ACDs are also very emotionally attuned. So if you are stressed, I trust they would be as well. While the anxiety and fear you feel is justified, I'd also like to remind you that how you convey your feelings would have a material impact on their feelings, hence their actions as well. It may also influence how your baby experiences their interactions with the dog. If you can find a way to manage your life so that you can feel more relaxed (easier said than done, but put in the thought -- you take care of yourself, so that you can better take care of your family), I trust his behavior would also improve, and there would likely be fewer chances of accidental nipping.

@motherapple Sounds like you trigger stacked him x1000. He already doesn’t want to live with another dog, now he’s got a baby to deal with and you had a loud noisy thing going that was probably stressing him out too. Then you freaked him out even more by getting “physical” with him. It doesn’t sound like you have a great read on his body language or stress levels, and there’s probably a lot of room for improvement in your relationship and training, but you’ve got a lot of other things you need to prioritize first, so management is really key.

Very, very, very few (maybe 0) dogs are actually going to be okay with toddler age kids, and ACDs solve problems with their teeth. It’s what they’re bred for. You need to keep them separated for both their sanity. The dog doesn’t deserve to have to live with and try to control a chaotic being that won’t pick up on any of his messages or warning signs. And really that’s your job, and he needs you to do it so he doesn’t feel like he has to.