What’s y’all’s biggest pet peeve?

@setsurinvuch i had a blue heeler straight up nibbling on my ear and licking my neck when i was brushing him out. i was like yeahhhh we’re done here 😭 my coworker was like “he’s just showing appeasing behavior”. no ma’am he was not!

@devincamary I agree. I understand worrying about your dog and not wanting to be away- but it is anxiety inducing to know they’re waiting for you to finish. I just had a lady yesterday wait in the parking lot the entire time I was grooming her dog…

@devincamary If it's a one time thing I'll ignore it, if it's repeated your dog is going to be the last one done. If they keep on, I'll let them know there's an extra rush fee.

I have NEVER guaranteed a time - I'm working with live animals and shit happens... I give a general idea of how long they'll be, and if a customer wants to discuss needing them done by a certain time when they make the appointment or BEFORE they leave from dropping off then I will do my best to work with it... But pester me while I'm in the middle of trying to finish your dog-? Nah. There's a reason I work with animals and not people.

@steve333 i love when i quote them a time (2-3 hours) and they show up after 2 without being called. even after i tell them, we. will. call. you. when. they. are. done!!!

@devincamary I often groom right in front of the owner, doing house calls some people go about their day, other people like to watch like it's a performance art show and others will actively help (especially if the reason I'm making the house call is grooming aggression then they're often on treat dispensing duty)

The one thing I cannot stand is when the dog reacts to something I do (picking up their paw, singling out a nail shaving a sensitive area etc) and the owner starts telling the dog no or bad dog and doubly so if the dog is giving a warning bite with a soft mouth-- I know that usually they're just embarrassed by their dog's behavior, But then I have to start explaining how typically the dog is not lying. Either picking up their paw hurts because they're oversensitized from the nails growing out too long, or they have an issue with their knee etc and it's actually the sign of a good dog that they are not using any pressure or are warning with a growl that they are uncomfortable. I start with a half truth where I tell them that when they yell at their dog for reacting the dog just thinks that they're yelling at me, that usually gets them to stop, then I have to say something to the effect of "I don't care if he bites me" ( I do) " I want you to tell him he's a good boy because he is letting us know what he can't handle"

Usually it's not serious the dog's not actually biting just giving big reactions until the dog starts realizing that I will respect very small reactions, Then they calm down enough to take treats and have a happy appointment where they are communicating calmly.

I totally forgot it's even worse when people yell at their dog for the small reactions like jerking their paw away.

@joyathome i feel like house call is a lot different. i’d be okay with it in that instance. but not in a busy salon. i feel like a lot of owner anxiety would be relieved if everyone could educate them about why they’re acting that way (like you do). i love when the dog isn’t reacting at all during a walk in nail trim but mom is across the salon yelling “it’s okay baby!” and the dog starts acting up like ma’am… that doesn’t help 😭

@devincamary Omg the ammount of people who stand 3 feet away to watch and wonder why their dog is trying to jump in their arms, haha

I have a script for everything so I say "he thinks you're here to save him, the best thing to do is use a happy voice and tell him he's doing a good job and then act like everything is normal (ie pour yourself a glass of water, or sit at the table and act like we're just having a chat)"

That way they do something that signals to the dog that they're comfortable with me and they aren't standing up to get them off the table.

The "use a happy voice" thing helped a lot when I was in the salon with those owners you mentioned specifically saying " use a happy voice and say good dog!" Then I'd usually find funny compliments to give the dog (telling then they're brave, loyal, and true) and all the sudden the owner is doing the same

@devincamary Obese dogs. I’m sick and tired of seeing a perfectly healthy dog become obese over time. They become awful to groom because they’re constantly shifting weight and trying to sit, and I just feel bad for the dog. Wtf is it with people thinking fat dogs are normal?

@beta2 I hate grooming them because I’m a small person. And I don’t know why, maybe it’s the language I use, but I cannot get the customers to understand that if the dog is overweight, the haircut might have to be broken into multiple sessions. Their knees are probably on fire, I’m not gonna make the dog stand that long just for the haircut. And yes, I’m charging extra for the pain in my back.

@devincamary People coming in before they were called is probably mine, too. I had a great boss at one salon who literally told owners who came in asking when their dog would be ready that they just added 15 minutes because we have to calm the dog down now.

@devincamary “The breeder told me not to get my doodle groomed until 6 months to a year”

“I brush him all the time”

“Yeah we have a pool and the dog loves it. Keep him as long as possible”

“Please don’t brush out my doodles curls. I love when they are little ringlets”

I hate doodles and their doodle dipshit owners.

Back