Best food for ~1.5yr Border Collie mix

froggymom101

We adopted a border collie mix from chicagoland dog rescue about 3 weeks ago. They think she’s between 1 & 2, closer to 1 based on her teeth. She’s 42 lbs / a bit underweight. Her foster mom was feeding her Good4Life Adult chicken & rice (not sure how good she was about eating that), but I have been gradually giving her Purina Pro Plan mixed in to move her to that. For the first 2 weeks, she was loving it - eating 1.5 cups in the morning & 1.5 cups at night no problem. Now she’s not as interested and will eat only about half a cup in the morning and half a cup at night. I know she loves chicken because she’ll eat Stella & Chewy’s freeze-dried chicken any day.

I just want her on the healthiest food. I considered moving her to Farmer’s Dog but heard that they’re not that good. I’m also considering Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, Open Farm Grass Fed Beef, or Redbarn Grain Free Dry dog food. What’s the healthiest? She has no allergies, just some arthritis.

@froggymom101 Congrats on the new pup!

Of the ones you’ve listed only Royal Canin and Purina meets the highest standards in the areas laid out by pet health organizations.

I’d strongly recommend you do not switch away from Purina yet. You’ve only had her for three weeks and she’ll only just now be coming out of the stage where she is decompressing and adjusting. Give her more time. Switching around every time a dog eats less will likely create pickiness but there’s also so much going on in her life right now, I think you just need to give her more time

Back