Best dogs for first time owners with 0 experience

@imagebeastmarkbeast This is kind of extreme. A good dog owner is financially able to afford having a dog, part of that is having a job. Many people work outside the home. People have owned dogs for decades and work from home used to not be a thing like it is nowadays. Most adult dogs are fine being left for 8 hours during a work day. Puppies, well no. You need someone to let them out frequently and they are a lot more hands on. But adult dogs? They will learn your schedule and if you provide them enough activity and attention and enrichment outside of your working hours there’s nothing wrong with that.

My dog is happier snoozing while I’m gone at work and getting lots of attention outside of my work hours than she’d be sitting in the shelter still. Yeah, she might get left home during the work day, but she gets multiple walks a day, has a huge fenced in yard we play fetch in, she gets training sessions or mental enrichment activities daily, we go hiking on the weekends when it’s nice out, we take trips to my parents place on a river in the summer where she gets to enjoy the river and the pool and several acres to run. She’s pretty much in whatever room I’m in at home in the evenings and gets sofa snuggles every night and cuddles before bed and in the mornings.

She’s a pretty happy dog.

@wifeandmother How about a retired racing greyhound? Large couch potatos that should be content to chill while you’re at work. I would definitely hire a dog walker midday though for a potty break!

Back