Best collar to stop barking?

@sviar It’s a wild thought for a lot of people— but not every dog’s favorite thing is a human / being in a house. Hell, this is why most need a fenced in yard because they’d never see their pup again if it got the chance to bolt. Open yard and space is probably a better situation for most dogs than being in a house. 🤷‍♂️ they can do dog stuff out there haha

@jordan_tdwp Those aren't the type of dogs i'm referring to but rather the owners who leave dogs living in their own shit and filth outside with a bucket of food and maybe water, you know the type.

@seets Asking for a tool that will stop your dog barking is akin to asking for a nail that will hammer itself.

E-collars are not for “stopping” behaviors, they’re for communicating focus and commands to your dog. They don’t work for every dog and especially don’t work without intentional and careful training. E collars are not supposed to be punishments- ever.

Sonar dog barking devices SOMETIMES help to disrupt the behavior, but STILL you must reward the pooch for choosing to stop, and fast for them to understand “oh- you want me to bark less!”.

In my experience, a sonar device will make barking WORSE for breeds that have a predisposition to guarding/alerting behaviors. I have Great Pyrenees dogs, and sonar devices just make them lose their shit and attack the device!

You should absolutely consider the genetics and life history of your dog when picturing how to diminish barking.

For my guarding breeds, we practice focus activities a lot and I also accept that, some things they will always bark at. When a solicitor comes to the door, I don’t even try to deliver the command because I know they will prioritize their job of scaring the shit out of the solicitor first.

There is no overnight solution. This sucks to hear when you are sleep deprived.

During the training period, when you just have to prioritize your sleep over anything else, invest in good ear plugs and some vitamins to lower your cortisol at night. You are also emotionally effected by the repetition and that will make it harder to ignore/work through. Basically- you and the dog both need some TLC.

@seets Dogs bark to alert. This is one of the primary instincts and functions of a dog from the time they were domesticated 15,000 years ago. If you want the dog to stop barking, you need to bring the dog in the house at night.

@seets So, I know this dog isn't yours but I'm very confused about whose dog it is. Is it a neighbors dog or a roommates? Either way, slapping a collar like that on the dog to fix the problem will not help.

You already mentioned how this dog is aggressive, so throwing a non barking collar on this dog will just make them more confused and more likely to bite.

I get that you are tired, and all you want is a simple fix, but there is no simple fix. If this dog belongs to a neighbor, then call animal control and have them figure this out. If you still have issues keep calling. If this dog belongs to a roommate (or you're willing to talk to a neighbor) you really need to talk to them about what this dog means to them. Is it a family member that they really care for? It doesn't sound like it. Or is it just something that happens to be in your backyard, take up space, and eat food. If nobody is giving the dog what it needs to be happy, then it needs to live somewhere else.

Taking the dog to a shelter would be your best bet. They will do behavior checks on the dog to determine if they just need more training or that they have actual aggression. When a dog has actual aggression and reactivity, they are suffering. Imagine thinking that the whole world is out to get you and you are the only thing that can stop it. That would be miserable. If they decide the dog is aggressive, they will euthanize the dog. If you think that euthanizing the dog is worse than it living in the yard, with little human interaction, scared of everything, then I would think you are wrong. That dog is probably miserable. They need a chance to either get better with someone willing to work with them or not deal with the fear anymore.

That's how you're really going to get rid of this problem. The collar is not going to cut it.

@seets Another thought: how would you handle it if it was a cow or a pig waking you up?

You could play white noise or run a fan in your bedroom. You could move the animal farther away from your window. You could create a barrier between the animal and the highway so it doesn't react to traffic. What else can you think of?

The dog is being a dog. If you can't or won't bring the dog in at night, figure out a solution that doesn't involve pushing the dog for doing dog things.

@seets No tool "stops" behavior. You need to use the tool properly to communicate with the dog what you want him to do. Consult a professional or re-home. Shocking the dog bc you don't like him is cruel and makes you a bad person 😏

@seets This person should be reported to the authorities immediately imo. You are not only cruel OP, but you are a complete narcissist for only worrying about your sleep, and not the wellbeing of the dog.

@seets I'm sorry OP about all the negative comments in this post. Some of them are right about dog training and making your dog happy and feeling safe. But also most of them don't understand that some dogs just ignore all commands and bark on almost everything that moves, as they are super protective of their space.

Dogs are like people, they got their own personalities.

As a recommendation maybe try using an anti barking collar that works with a combination of sound and vibration. A friend of mine got it online and so far it reduced the dogs barking, but she also trained him a bit in the meat time, so it doesn't harm to try doing the same. Best of luck to you!

@seets Seeing as it isn't your dog, I would try an outdoor ultrasonic deterent. It may not work, but is less aversive and requires less training. I would also take a look to see what the dog has to do instead of barking at vehicles. Can you give it a long lasting chew before bed or treat ball? Again, I know it isn't your dog so the owner may not allow it.

@seets It's called train your fucking dog not to constantly bark, take it for walks, play with it, give it attention. Most often is because the dog is being neglected.. they are bored, anxious, frustrated. This happens too often where people get a dog and then eventually don't pay attention to it, so they stick it outside and forget about it. As a neighbor, hearing constant barking every time it's let outside, being woken up every morning, at night...not being able to open your windows at all...it's beyond frustrating.