Am I Overreacting?

@ged I just recently heard that too and it made me look back on all the times I was so careless around sedated dogs & how lucky I was I came out unscathed 😳 That’s really good to know for the future.

@wharley Hard no for the sole fact that the dog doesn't have a single vaccine, let alone all the other reasons to scream and run from this booking

@wharley No vaccines? No groom. Fire me if you want. This is non negotiable.

As for the rest, I'll try anything once but I'd let the owner know up front I'll stop the groom if I feel it's not safe for myself or the pet and whether not I even accept the pet depends heavily on the initial assessment during check-in.

I have worked on pets like this before, older pets that haven't been groomed much and it's gone well but it can go really wrong. A lot depends on the disposition and temperament of the pet in question. Caution is warranted, especially if they expect the dog needs sedation for grooming. I'd question them very closely about their pet's behavior although I wouldn't expect an honest answer.

"Doesn't leave the house or come in contact with other dogs". That statement alone tells me a lot about the owner and none of it good. Where does the pet go potty? And dogs aren't the only animals that can carry rabies. Do NOT let this pet owner cajole you into working on their pet without proof of rabies at the very least.

@wharley Oh HELLLLLL no. This is screaming red flags and the fact that the manager of your company wants you to do it even feeling uncomfortable makes me want to slap them silly. I’m sorry I’m sounding so aggressively passionate about this, but I deal with dogs that are on their last chance before a full sedation in my area and this dog sounds like most of the dogs I see walk through my doors. I also do apprenticeships on a limited basis and I tell every single one of them before handling any dog, rabies are a requirement before the dogs come into the building and in the very next breath I tell them if there is ever a dog you feel may be out of your experience or comfort zone, don’t EVER be afraid to say so and either refer them to me or have them sent home. (This is when they’re out on their own in another company) Any owner of a grooming facility should have their employees safety at the forefront. That alone would make me quit and work elsewhere. The grooming world needs too many groomers for anyone to not have a job that gives them a safe place to utilize their skill. We need to stop giving power to those who are taking the necessary steps to provide a safe environment for both their employees and their clients.

@leladawn I would feel so safe working with you 😭 My manager is just kind of clueless I think, she has 0 grooming experience and is older, mostly in charge of scheduling. I don’t think she realizes how big of a deal it is? (trying to give her the benefit of the doubt).
Your shop sounds like a really rewarding place to work! Do you get injured frequently by the dogs youre working on?

@wharley If you were in Michigan I would 100% bring you on or at the very least help you find somewhere in the area. I have a great community of groomers here and while there will always be a select few, especially since Covid, that are trying to call themselves groomers that really have only taken an online class and then started working out if their homes, etc. the majority here are super freaking amazing and supportive. Oddly enough, one of the owners in the area bought one of the older grooming schools out this way and we were just talking so we could offer some furthering education classes to either the new groomers in the area or a refresher for those who’ve been in the industry but may still need some additional help for certain areas! Safety is the most important thing and with the type of stuff in reading about the dog your manager is asking you to do, it looks to me like she really needs to take a good look and start familiarizing herself with the other side so she can gain an understanding of dog behavior and the circumstances that can cause a dog to be a danger by simply not being handled. I would maybe approach her with some simple facts as to why this could be a dangerous situation. First and foremost, I would explain to her that it is the LAW that the dog has, at bare minimum, its rabies vaccine. Either the print out from the vet or by calling the vet to confirm yourself. Not the damn tags because that doesn’t mean anything 😅. Then I would explain that a dog like this that has never been groomed before and only bathed once, with this type of coat, will most likely have IMPACTED coat. I may be wrong obviously since I’m not able to see it, but she’s just asking for a dog that’s probably in horrible shape, not socialized, and not vaccinated to be a danger to both you and it and in your PROFESSIONAL OPINION, this dog is not something you are willing to risk your entire career over. Screw feeling uncomfortable. It’s just not something you are going to be able to do. Also, as to being hurt with the dogs I deal with, I actually haven’t 😳 not until two weeks ago and that was a VERY special case. This dog was also slated to possibly be put down and due to also offering behavioral training for foster assessments, this was a dog that needed the entire work through to see what and if it would be possible to be done safely. I’ve dealt with some majorly fear aggressive and just plain out cranky dogs that would rather bite you than anything but most have been successful in rehabilitation. This guy was not and even with the other extremely talented trainer with me, he managed to get ahold of my left hands middle and ring finger and broke them both. This is the first time in the entirety of my career I’ve ever been majorly injured. Ive had a couple of pinches, but never anything that would require stitches or broken bones, etc. I’ve got a ton of safety protocols in place, but accidents can happen to even those of us who prepare for the worst. I also put myself in this situation, so I’m not mad about it lol. But it is reasons like this that I want everyone who works in the industry to not push themselves in a dangerous situation where they feel they won’t be able to handle it. Stand up for yourself hun. I promise it’s worth it to do so. I’ve only met one non groomer owner/manager who knew how to do the job properly and wasn’t just in it for only the money. Unfortunately, that’s not the case much of the time for the ones who don’t have experience. Edited to add sorry for the novel 🤣

@leladawn Oh shucks, yeah I’m just a little too far away unfortunately 😢 Unless I want to commute across the country 😂 But no I appreciate the novel! And honestly that’s really impressive that that was your first major injury! I had a friend who, straight out of grooming academy, had a collie bite her in the eyebrow and she had to get stitches. I’m so sorry about your fingers though, I hope you heal up soon

@wharley Get it in writing that your manager isn't worried about your concerns. Text or email her saying that you don't feel comfortable and express your concerns. Especially rabies if this means this dog isn't vaxxed for rabies. You don't have to go outside to get rabies. You could be bitten by a bat, never know it and rabies can lay dormant for YEARS.

Back