Alternative renal support diet for allergic dog?

chefapple

I have a 16y/o golden retriever mix and his stomach is very picky. He is allergic to chicken and stomach can't seem to handle lamb/pork all that well.

We finally got him stable on fish diet from Purina and Wellness but the vet noticed signs of kidney disease. Now I'm back to the drawing board since most renal support dogfood has chicken or lamb in it.

I tried the hydrolyzed kibble from Hills since it has min 14% protein but it has the same issue as the lamb/pork where his stomach just can't process it that well even after a week of 1/4 portions. I've also tried the hills k/d chicken and lamb variants but still see the same previous symptoms. My vet didn't have too much to add other than going with whatever makes his stomach happy.

Is there any other dogfood with low protein content that I can look into? If not, has anyone had any luck substituting a home diet or maybe lowering the portion of their current kibble and adding other fillers?

@chefapple This is a case where it’s a good idea to get a recommendation from your vet - and if they are not sure of the options themselves they can also contact the different nutrition companies for advice because there are commercial options for food allergic pets that can be used in renal disease but it really depends on the stage of the disease. There are more nutrients to consider than protein!

Homecooking can be a great option if you have the time and budget, but it is really, really important to have the diet formulated by a board-certified veterinary clinical nutritionist. They are veterinarians who have an additional 3 or more years of training in nutrition and will have DACVIM (Nutrition) or DECVCN after their names. Ask your vet for a referral if needed - they can work with you to find a protein source your doggo can tolerate while ensuring he’s getting the right balance of nutrients - essentially you will get a recipe designed specifically for YOUR dog.

Be careful because there is zero regulation for someone calling themselves a “nutritionist” so check for credentials! Homemade diet recipes online and in books are almost always unbalanced, unfortunately.

@chefapple I'm dealing with my dog who's has the start of chronic kidney disease. I am now cooking and making his food. I've done a lot of reading so far and research, but I plan to follow up with either a pet nutritionist or a holistic veterinarian to establish an eating plan to help me balance out his diet. And to get some solid advice on supplementation

@chefapple You can't compare diets by the % on the bag. That is % by weight, not calorie content.

Royal Canin makes a hydrolyzed + renal diet which is likely your best bet. If things are hydrolyzed, they should not affect the dog since hydrolyzed means it's broken down enough to not be attacked by the body.

If you want to go the route of home cooking, then you MUST consult with a board certified veterinary nutritionist. They would be the only ones qualified to make diets for special needs dogs like this.

Back