We don't know what to do next with our reactive dog and in need of advice/support

@lost_soul It seems like you've already tried a lot of things. Firstly, you should keep the dogs separated, it's not fair to Toby that he keeps being attacked, it's a stressful environment to him and even dangerous. You also made a commitment to Toby, he needs to be safe in his own home.

If the dog is affecting your life so much that you aren't able to have people over and isolated yourselves after trying everything maybe it's time for surrendering him to a shelter or BE.

@matthewck You're spamming this thread with this comment. I want to clarify that I'm subscribed to r/reactivedogs and I left the comment minutes after OP posted it. My comment had nothing to do with the breed, but with the situation.

Toby is a pit mix too and I haven't said anything bad about him, even more I encouraged OP to keep him safe.

@imagebeastmarkbeast You're suggesting OP kill his dog because reasons? There have been people on here with dogs much worse and weren't advised to do BE nearly as much. I'm also pointing out which posters went to or are subscribed to that sub because he wasn't sure which ones actually had useful information.

Also you lot piss me off but I do find it amusing that you deleted the comment/s you made on the sub as some sort of gotcha.

@lost_soul You can have a look at ‘Training Between The Ears’.

You seem very committed and these exercises are long at first ‘one or two hours’ however in my experience it conditions the dog to get comfortable/accepting of a relaxed state.

They are called behavioural downs. Seems like nothing special at first - if you try it (and even if they fail they have a positive effect) you might see the dog seems less ‘possessed’ by impulsivity etc and more in control

@lost_soul How do you see Miles ending up if you keep on going with him, find the ‘right’ trainer, medication etc?
Do you see yourselves letting him be around your potential new baby? Having family over and just hanging out, having dinner, having your other dog around?

Going on what you’ve said, I think that ideal is unrealistic and if that’s your goal and your reason to keep going with this dog to someday have a normal, good dog then you need to reconsider.

Some dogs are not made to be pet dogs.

I have one who does not do well being just a pet. I used to work her but I had twins last year and tried to treat her like a pet dog. Thankfully not people or dog reactive, good with the twins, but will bully my other dog incessantly, pace the house, bark at small noises, run away on walks if she doesn’t have a chance to work at her job.
She’s a hunting and retrieving dog, and I send her to my friend one week every month through the season to go shooting pheasant with her and she comes back a much nicer dog.

Miles looks to be a pit of some kind, so he obviously cannot do the job he was bred for, but if you can find a job he can do (scent work, tracking, maybe agility, something) and work him hard at it for a couple of hours each day and more at weekends he MAY feel better in himself and be a bit easier to manage.

This also may be unpopular, but my very very driven, non pet dog laughed at all my attempts at R+. For two years.
I took her to a very good balanced trainer who told me I’d bought a Maserati before I’d passed my driving test, and I was out of my depth. I appreciate you feel sorry for the skinny sad puppy you adopted, but he is currently making your life worse, and what you’re doing doesn’t appear to be working. At no point in my dog’s training was she frightened or hurt, and now she is a lovely dog provided she gets a chance to work.
My other dog is trained only by me and only R+ (first dog’s daughter, same breed, completely different personality) and is a joy, but would have to trip over a pheasant to find it and looks horrified if I tell the OTHER dog no. Horses for courses.

I really hope you find a solution that allows you to live with Miles and also have family, friends round and have kids eventually, but if you don’t, BE is a less worse choice than giving him back to the shelter.

@matthewck I’m all for R+ my dog was trained that way and I steer 100% to it but since it seems like this dog is on the verge of their life potentially being over I think its worth a shot for OP to try a different form of training.

@lost_soul i highly recommend BE. give miles one last “best day” and take him in for that final appointment. it isn’t fair to you, your wife, Toby or anyone else that could come in contact with this dog. he’s dangerous and unpredictable and while you could continue to manage it, management always fails at some point.
plus, what kind of life is this for a dog? not a very good one, from the sound of it. not all dogs are able to be pets and that’s okay. you did the best you could, you deserve to have a life where you’re not trapped by a dog.

@lost_soul BE, it’s sounds like both you and your wife are in an abusive relationship with this dog. He’s not likely to get better and you, your wife, and Toby all deserve better. If those meds aren’t working he’s truly a lost cause and most likely will never live peacefully or be happy/stable no matter what you do for him