Advice/encouragement on adopting senior ACD

trying1tohelp1

My partner and I are planning to adopt a dog this year and while it wasn't our pan originally to adopt a senior, my heart has been stolen by a sweet 9 y/o ACD named Aspen. She's been rehomed once and then surrendered another time due to circumstances that had absolutely nothing to do with her/her behavior. It just seems like she's never been made a priority by her previous owners and it breaks my heart.

I've grown up with heelers as family pets/farm dogs (with our most recent, Hootie, passing at 11 years in 2020 from health issues leaving my family too heartbroken to get another just yet) so I'm familiar with ACD behavior, energy levels, needs, etc. But this girl would be my first ACD in an apartment and my partner's first ACD ever.

My partner works from home 2 days a week and is switching to full time wfh in a few months, and I work first shift so she'd only be by herself for 6ish hours due three days a week. We'll be able to dedicate the better part of afternoons and all evening to being with her. I'll also still have access to farms to bring her out to on weekends for her to run and herd to her heart's content. My apartment complex also has a medium sized dog park that'd be good for daily fetch/zoomies and I plan on finding lots of brain puzzles to keep her mentally stimulated too. We also live in an area with several larger dog parks and national parks. So overall I feel like we can provide a good home for this girl despite being in an apartment (plus we're looking to upgrade to renting a townhouse or home with a yard next year).

The only catches are that I have a few health conditions and chronic pain that make being super active a bit tricky, and while my partner is willing to pick up the slack when I have a bad flare up, they travel a decent amount for work (like once a month or so) so I'm a bit worried about giving her the play time she deserves if a bad pain day lines up with my partner being away. I think doing some treadmill training could work as supplement for basic exercise for that situation so any resources on that would be much appreciated.

Besides that my partner is also super hesitant about adopting a senior. We have access to pet insurance through work so I'm confident we can support any medical needs she might have over time. Still, their one and only childhood dog is still around and kicking so they've never experienced any kind of pet loss before and they're very scared of going through that, so I'd also appreciate any words of wisdom for that too.

TL;DR: sweet senior ACD needs a home and someone to give their whole heart to her but we live in an apartment, I'm somewhat disabled, and my partner is scared of pet loss. I'm pretty sure I've thought through solutions to most of the problems but could use encouragement and any further advice.

UPDATE: Hi yall! First, me n my partner just wanted to say that you for all the advice and well wishes. They mean a lot and while we were pretty confident before about providing for her, you've just boosted us even more. :) Second, we filled out the first of two applications to adopt Aspen last night!! We have to wait for the rescue to review it and contact our references before filling out another more detailed application specific to Aspen and then hopefully we can go get our girl! We're both so excited so keep your fingers crossed for us and I'll definitely keep yall posted! Thank you again for all the encouragement 💕

@trying1tohelp1 My wife and I adopted an 8 year old ACD two years ago. No regrets.

He is just a really good dog. We take him to the park or on trails a few times a week, but when he needs to run and we don't have time, we throw a ball for a while .

Ours has less energy than a puppy for sure. A perfect off leash dog, follows us around all the time.

Wife works from home a few days a week, and he gets let out at lunch the other days. But he has definitely been alone for 8 hours, and been fine.

I would go for it. But... Once you have an ACD, all the other dogs aren't as cute. They ruin you. In a good way

@smartgirl2298 That's really comforting to hear! And I hear you on being ruined by them lol I've had ACDs in my life since I was about 10, with the exception of the last few years and I can't imagine not getting another!

@trying1tohelp1 It sounds like you can give her a pretty solid environment despite some challenges. A 9 yr old, even for a heeler, may be starting to slow down and you should be able to compensate physical exercise with the mental stimulation when you have flare ups, and you seem very proactive on providing this.

All pets die eventually, and it’s always awful. But giving a senior dog some beautiful years in a caring home is worth that grief. I hope you guys can give her a chance!

@trying1tohelp1 My partner and I adopted a 7 year of ACD 2 years ago and he is the greatest thing to ever happen to us. He has some arthritis but it doesn’t really slow him down. We know very little of his background (he was dropped off at a shelter and they were told he was 7, no name given). He is both of our first dog. I agree with another commenter that you have a very solid environment for her. The pros are that she is most likely fully trained. I think it sounds like a perfect match

@trying1tohelp1 Thank you for considering an older pup! What’s the energy level on the one that’s stolen your heart? Not all ACDs need full on gymnastics to keep them busy, and the mental training is really more tiring than the physical. They like to think ☺️. Your Aspen might even be a bit of a couch potato, so definitely worth looking into as you consider your final decision.

As for loss, it’s hard when they’re older, it’s hard when they are young. It’s hard full stop. There are no guarantees on longevity. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is knowing you had the ability to be the center of your dog’s world and give them the best life possible for that never long enough, sweet period of time.

Best of luck 💗

@esther1977 Thank you! We've not met her in person yet so I'm not sure of her individual energy level yet. Based on her adoption site bio she seems a good mix of cuddly and zoomy. We're gonna fill out the adoption application tonight and schedule a meet and greet with her foster so we'll have a clearer picture then :)

@trying1tohelp1 From previous adoption experience, she may be a bundle of energy when she meets you, only because she’s super happy that someone noticed her. Or she may cower because of being let down so many times. Ignore both of those. They are not her actual personality.

Thank you for giving a senior a home. You won’t regret it.

@trying1tohelp1 My ACD is only 4 years old, but she’s honestly very mellow. She has a lot of get up and go energy when I do, but on days with chronic illness flareups, she’s more than okay going outside to sniff a couple of times and mostly doing couch cuddles/some indoor training/games I can do from said couch!! The breed definitely has a reputation for being high energy, but trust the dog in front of you, too!! And mental stimulation counts for way more than exercise once the exercise needs have been met— I use a slow feeder, a puzzle toy, chews, and training throughout the day to keep her engaged when I can’t run around. We do just fine :) You got this!!

Edit for some weird grammar lol

@trying1tohelp1 Can you afford a dog walker or have a friend help when you're unable? Great. Can you play games and do tricks instead of walking? You bet.

I came into a relationship with a guy with a senior dog, and we're losing her soon. It's not even my dog and I haven't known her THAT long, but I love that I'm able to give her an amazing end. Absolutely spoiling her, pick her up for extra special activities, and sometimes I stay in with her while he goes out so she's not alone. It's sure going to hurt, but I know I've done a lot to turn around a dog's life (she had a shitty time before he got her) and show her some real dog experiences.

Maybe it's even easier because I haven't known her forever, to remove myself from some of the grief. I'm doing a service. I was very wound up in tears when we first found out, but that's settled into a more pragmatic feeling. I can see her pain, or her faculties starting to fail, and all I can do is make the last time better for her. We've had enough time to come to terms with it, I guess.

She's also been an amazing friend to my ACD.

I've looked at cremation arrangements, had her portrait taken, got lots of candid pics, and have a little memory shadow-box planned for once she's gone. I'm as emotionally prepared as I can be to support her when the time comes.

100% I would consider a senior dog or cat again in my life. Spoiling them is a lot of fun, and they're less effort on the exercise front, which may be a good fit for you.

You could have one year left or 6. I am team Aspen. Treadmill training isn't that hard. I just sit there with a handful of kibbles, spacing them out further and further.

@allbutnone I also second if you’re able to get a dog walker or someone you trust to stop by just to have some peace of mind that they’re doing okay, let them do their business outside and to help add some human stimulation to their day 😀

@trying1tohelp1 I adopted an 8 year old ACD who is now 12 and is just so wonderful, and still very perky and energetic. We go on walks every day and she still likes to play with dogs at the dog park, guard the house, and follow me everywhere. Older dogs are so sweet, it's a Blessing to adopt one

@trying1tohelp1 We adopted a senior ACD and it was the best thing we ever did. He had so many strikes against him: never been around kids (we had toddlers), had serious and painful health conditions, had been badly abused, had rarely been allowed inside…the list is long. He was by and far the best dog we’ve ever had in our family. We loved him and he loved us. He was kind and gentle with our children (who were very dog-savvy and respectful). He did not require the exercise or training of a puppy, and learned new things in lightning speed. We spent some time with him at the rescue and realized it would be an excellent match, and it was. Don’t let age keep you from your perfect match.

Back