Advice/encouragement on adopting senior ACD

@trying1tohelp1 I adopted an 8 year old rescue ACD and he literally changed all our lives. Best decision ever. He gave us 6 years and change. We had a neighbor kid come over and let him out every day at lunchtime (I was still in the office 5 days a week) and he did great. No regrets at all.

@trying1tohelp1 Cowdogs live long lives. This dog is barely through middle age and would be very lucky if you would let her live out the second half with you. You should have many years together without having to go through the teenager crazies. Go for it!❤️

@trying1tohelp1 When my partner and I said goodbye to my cat of 15 years, of which he was around for 6 of those years, it was a lot harder on him. He had never really bonded with a pet before that, or experienced that kind of loss. I had been through it before though, and couldn't stand not having a pet at home. We had already discussed what kind of dog we were going to have once she passed so I went to the shelter 6 days later, just to start the search. Lo and behold the staff had me meet a heeler mix that was outside our criteria somewhat (6 years old, not 2-3) but I fell in love immediately and knew that an older dog would probably be great for my never had a dog before partner. It was my sister that told him not to care about the age- you could get a puppy and 5 years later something happens and you have to say good bye, but you got to have that love for 5 years. Or it could be like my aunts dog- 5 years old when she got him, lived to 18. So we brought this heeler home, prepared for lots of physical and mental stimulation. But he was a retired couch potato! He loves his alone time bc he doesn't have to worry about us being in different rooms and can take a nice long nap. Right now, nearing age 13, he's passed out on his bed having a little doggy dream. He's got his health issues but they've been manageable and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Maybe something happens and he doesn't make it to summer. Maybe he makes it another few years. But I can tell you, it's been worth it from day one, and we would do it again in a heartbeat. Get the dog, don't worry about the rest until you have to. You'll figure it out as you go!

@trying1tohelp1 If you can give that dog an iota of a better life than in a shelter, especially a kill shelter, then I say do it! Senior dogs are overlooked quite often and who knows how long she’ll be there. Plus, I feel like the best years are yet to come! ACDs are like fine wine, they get better with age. 🥹🥹🥹🥹

@trying1tohelp1 Oldies are the besties. Got my guy at one and he's gonna be 12 and still a maniac. I got most of my dogs at 6-8 years and it's nice to not have a puppy stage. Older dogs just mean more cuddles and lazy days.

@trying1tohelp1 I’ve had my ACD border collie for 10 years now (since she was a puppy) and we’ve always lived in apartments. She’s been the best dog ever. The first few years I made sure to crate her but now she just hangs around on the couch while I’m at work and barks at anyone at the door. My good lil protector :) I take her dog parks all the time, the beach, and hikes. Never had an issue with separation anxiety or her tearing up things from stress when I’m gone.

Back