Adolescent ACD - When do they “Mature”?

joannee

I adopted a 6 month old cattle dog. He is now about 8 months. I walk him 3 times a day (20-30 minute walks morning, lunch and night) and exercise him with a longer 4 mile run, 5 mile bike ride, or hour of fetch when I get home from work. He is still constantly go-go-go and he hardly EVER takes a nap. He is also extremity nippy and bites constantly if we aren’t actively doing something ( tug, training, kong). He will hardly let me pet him or put a leash on him despite trying every trick in the book for stopping biting (my thighs are bruised and cut all over from his nipping) I know ACDs have tons of energy and will always need an abundance amount of exercise but in your experience at what age, if ever, did your ACD “mature” and be content with chilling while in the house and not constantly biting or needing attention? I know he’ll never be a couch potato but Im a single guy living in an apartment and he’s starting to drive me over the edge. It’s been much tougher breed than expected despite all of the research I did beforehand. I’m starting to think I just can’t possibly provide him the amount of exercise he needs and he might be happier on a farm or someplace he can be outside running ALL day. Thanks!

@joannee This is just my experience with my ACD so take this with a grain of salt... ours was exactly the same way bitting constantly and nipping at any chance for play. That continued until she was around a year and a half and she started to settle down after that. It was a slow process but by the time she was 2 and a half years old she is what you would call "matured" and would only go crazy if I didn't take her for a walk which is to be expected of their breed to begin with.

@joannee IMO there are several different issues you're combining here and it might help to deal with them separately:
  • age and energy: most pure breed ACDs don't fully physically and mentally mature until about 4 years. Until then, it will be a slow and often frustrating process of dealing with their juvenile delinquency. My Red is 2.5 years old, competes in agility and is learning to herd, and he still needs tons of exercise and acts like an untrained puppy sometimes - usually at the worst possible time!
  • biting: this is a behavioral and reactivity issue, not related to exercise. Puppies are often mouthy and bitey, and with work that will diminish over time, but what you describe in a 9mo dog is not that. Your dog was apparently not trained or handled properly as a young puppy, and you are reaping the reward. I'd suggest you find a certified animal behaviorist who understands reactivity in herding breeds and have them do an evaluation and consult. You can and should reduce these behaviors, but it will take dedicated training effort and time. BTW, ACDs need a strong hand but I don't recommend harsh correction for this kind of biting. IMO the best way with this breed to reduce unwanted behavior is to develop a strong loving bond through positive affection, and then use that bond as "emotional blackmail" : when the dog bites, always express your pain ("OW! Damn!") and then separate him from yourself and stop or deny the anticipated activity. Yeah, I know easier said than done, but if you can do that and be totally consistent, I think you will reduce the biting. And still go see a behaviorist - there may be other issues that need to be addressed.
  • exercise vs mental stimulation: ACDs are smart herding dogs. They need some exercise, but even more they need mental challenges - a job to do. In fact, just a 1/2 hr of training can be more exhausting and calming than hours of exercise, and it sounds like your dog needs training anyway: certainly obedience, agility or other dog sports, tricks, etc. Training is all upside: the dog will be more chill, you form a deeper bond which helps deal with behavior problems, the dog is better behaved, and training is fun and you really get to know your dog in the process.
Best luck to you. ACDs are not usually an easy breed to own, and you got your dog after some bad habits developed. I bet you can work it out, but it will take effort on your part.

@joyshuffle There might be places like that, but I wouldn't take an untrained dog there, and the facility would be negligent if they allowed untrained dogs on livestock: too much chance of injury to the dog, livestock and handler. ACDs were bred to drive wild cattle on the outback, which means they tend to race in and aggressively bite heels and flanks to get the herd moving. It took about 6 months of lessons to train Red not to scatter the herd and terrify the sheep, another 3 months to train him to fetch (go around the back side and gently pressure the herd to move to me).

There are two things you can do with your dog now: take an instinct test to see what abilities he/she has, and attend a "boot camp" training session (if you have one in your area) where you both get a crash course in herding. One thing I'd suggest: make sure the trainer you use has experience with ACDs. Most herders use border collies, which have very different behavior from ACDs.

@joannee My Dovah was the same age as yours when I got her and just as crazy

Once she learned her name and bonded with me knowing I'm the person who she trusts I started showing I'm the Alpha on her disobedient behavior like nipping me when I wasn't paying attention to her, while I walked, and when I just wanted to pet her

Reading up on training a working cattle dog (I raise cattle for a living) I learned that they are extremely tough and loyal so they need some tough discipline in order to know you're the boss

I know this may sound harsh and possibly cruel to some people but honestly in 2mo I now have an almost perfect Velcro dog who listens and knows she's in trouble just by command

What you need to do is when he starts the behavior you want to control you firmly tell him your stop command and try to calmly get him to sit and stop if he doesn't listen then you grab him by the scruff of the neck and push him to the floor and yelling your stop command

He should react scared and upset and will act timid for less than an hour before coming back up to you wanting to play again

I don't know your dogs behavior but if you're unsure or unprepared for his reaction to this method he may become agressive and fight back so be prepared for a couple bites and pin him to the ground (I know males can react differently than females to dominance)

I've only had to do this 4 times in the 3 months since I got her and she has taken to me yelling her stop command which she now just comes back to me ears back saying sorry and waiting for her apology lovies

@hailsatan666 It honestly depends on the dogs temperament with their owner and the level of bond you have that would determine it's effectiveness

I'm just describing what I did to calm my Dovah and to listen no matter what she's doing

@thetorturedsoul I usually don't yell but when Noodle was younger and being more of a pain, or doing something really bad, the change in my tone of voice is very effective. I get very low, very stern. I've grabbed him by the scruff but only to make him stop moving or react. The idea is to find something that breaks their attention on whatever it is they're distracted by. If whatever you normally do isn't working, do something new that is surprising or startling but obviously not harmful.

Break the attention, then correct.

I hardly ever have to be physical with him anymore. A sharp "HEY" usually gets his attention and lets him know he needs to change what he's doing.

When he hangs out around other people, I usually have to explain to people how to deal with him. Most people are too nice and so he walks all over them (in terms of being extremely pushy trying to play fetch, constantly dropping toys in your lap, begging for food). I tell them it's ok to push him away firmly or speak very sternly. He doesn't listen unless he knows you mean it.