Acts like a velociraptor same time every night

@russelae01 Yep I agree. Need to signal off switch for bedtime. Good to use after each play session too. Pup is pretty young, but these are creatures of routine. Keep at it, be consistent and patient. Be a little firmer with that effort at bedtime. Hey! That’ll do! You didn’t say but I always used a kennel at night until the routine is down. (In the bedroom ). My dogs are taught from day one, time for bed! Let’s out outside go pee. I let them out, when they come in I taught get in your kennel! Then they get a cookie in the kennel and I close the door. Few days of that and they fly to their kennel, get their cookie and curl up go to sleep. Later when all is calm and good, routine trained, I keep routine but kennel door is left open. Some prefer to sleep there, some like the living room chair, or regular dog bed. Somewhere around 1.5-2 yrs I eliminate kennels for dog beds, except for a particular one that wants her kennel. Not closed but she wants it, and spends 90% of the night in there. The elder dogs get to be on the bed if they want. Kennel or not is personal preference. It does establish a routine, and how to turn off and chill in confinement. A valuable skill to have down the road.

@russelae01 My 2 year old ACD mix does this every night too, 😂. She also dances around in circles, smiling making “urg” sounds & then it goes into zoomies. When she pauses to make sure we’re looking at her, she’ll come pouncing up & try to nibble the tips of our noses. Still making the “urg” sound. She backs off, looks at us & laughs.

I have absolutely no clue what it means. She doesn’t need anything. This isn’t some ploy to get a cow ear, or a toy. She just does this. Then, she finds her favorite spot next to me, curls up to shrimp level & keeps her back paw stretched out enough to be touching my leg. Then it’s of to sleepy town! 😂

Edit: when she nibbles our noses I tell her, “NO biteys!” & she definitely understands, lol

@russelae01 Seems like her whole day is stimulating. Even with the laying around part, where people come and go.

She needs to learn how to chill without interruption. She is still expecting some sort of interaction when you relax at 8.

@russelae01 My boy is 5 yrs old and is a 20% heeler mix, but he does this… usually around 5-6 or 6-7 when we climb into bed. It’s like he’s so excited and wants to play and nip bc we’re in bed. He calms down after about 5-10 mins. I do think there is something to the “witching hour”.

@russelae01 Our girl is almost 4 and gets super silly and nippy (very gentle and great bite inhibition) around bed time. Sometimes she'll crawl across the bed when I'm almost asleep and start to lick my ear. I'm not tired of the attention yet 😆

@russelae01 Usually this is our boy (4 yo ACD mix) when he’s upset we’re not in bed and he’s tired. He’s not bitey, moreso just gets a little whiney with some barks and some herding towards bedroom. His time is usually 9:30 to 10 and we will have him lay down either in our living room chair or his bed in our room (used to be kennel, but he does best with a bed now) and he will sigh and start winding down.

Your pup may just be overtired, that’s a lot of activity for a lil baby. They may need some reinforced nap or relaxation time outside of what you’ve already got.

@russelae01 At bedtime teething rings helped us a lot at that age, as she’s probably starting to feel uncomfortable and not know what’s going on. And mine would do the same thing - turn into a little tired energy terror. Giving her good teething toys helped keep her occupied and feeling comfort.

@russelae01 it's the witching hour... it's sooooo common with puppies. Usually, they're just overtired. Seems like you have the time pinpoint pretty well. I would freeze their dinner in an activity toy and put them somewhere where they can lick/chew calmly, and then rest when they're done. You might get some protesting, but starting to implement a consistent routine into your night schedule can help manage.

@russelae01 Mental work. Our girl is the same way. If she doesn’t get enough exertion (mental, physical, sensory) she will act up before bed like “hey I have extra gas in the tank”

Mental and sensory work tires her out more than physical exercise.

@russelae01 Most likely a heeler communicating like that is asking for something. My girl knows treat and A dinner time. She does exact thing and barks at me and nips until dinner is served. After that it’s nothing. There is something triggering the dog.