9 month golden attacks me on walks

@eyes4grandpa If this is anything like what I’ve experienced (and I think it is), it’s too severe to just ignore. I have an Aussie and I can only imagine it’s worse with an even bigger dog like a Golden.

@bongoon My rescue was like that for about 2-3 months, mostly I didnt see a pattern or location where it would happen and when, but when it did, the only thing that helped me was to be fully concentrated on her jumping up on me and trying to bite at me and shove the sturdy rope leash I had in her mouth... that was the only way I could avoid getting nipped and bitten. I tried ignoring, turning around etc, only thing was I got bitten in a different location.

These incidents weren't too long luckily though in the moments they felt like eternity and for a while I dreaded our walks and wondered if I could go through with this, but after a few months it just went away and she hasn't done it since.

So, a strong leash is your friend, I sometimes had a stick with me or picked one up a few times in the beginning as that was the only way to keep her teeth away from me and my clothes.All the best.

I dunno who downvoted this comment, but to clarify, the stick or leash was to put it in her mouth, instead of my arms or other body parts....

@outlawingrace She sounds overstimulated.

Since she is hurting you I would start muzzle training for walks. There is a great sub to advise on it you can find through the search function. Or ask and I can clarify it.

I think you should have a training session (I like to work on mat training [sit, stay, lay in place for a duration], door manners-sit and wait calmly while waiting for signal to come, recall before walks at this age) and playtime inside (perhaps a flirt pole?) to wear her out before you even go on a walk. You want her to be mentally and physically tired before you even start.

Before you leave the house you want her to be calm and relaxed which is why the mat training and door manners get worked on right before the walk.

Walks should be shorter. Since she’s overstimulated, cut back on the stimulation by shortening the walks.

Keep a greater distance from people, animals and other triggers.

9 months is teenagerhood and in line for the second fear period so things can be extra challenging at these times.

@outlawingrace Besides trying muzzles on walks, I wonder if there may be any ways to tire your puppy out a bit (mentally or physically) before the walks, so that any intense/hyper spells might be a little less intense. The other thing to try l, if possible, could be to redirect the reaction behavior away from you and toward something appropriate, such as a chew. That may be easier said than done, since dogs in the middle of a reaction may be too wired up to even notice you giving a chew.

My own two-year-old dog is not aggressive but has had some intense reactions in response to specific triggers. That behavior first manifested in the kind of behavior you are describing. Over time, with aging and training, he gradually learned how to regulate his reactions (which means that they are less frequent and less intense — but they are still present). I’ve also learned to anticipate his triggers and to handle with management (such as limiting exposure to them, giving extra distance, or physically positioning myself between my dog and his trigger).

I also wonder if there are any places near you for very calm “decompression” walks (with minimal triggers). Perhaps a cemetery or a remote park or trail (or “off hours” at those places)?

@outlawingrace I have two dogs one a golden now 2 years old. I would agree it's overstimulation goldens are very excitable especially as puppies. You also might have gotten a higher energy golden like I have as when he was a puppy he had similar behaviors. We did shorter walks and tried to get his energy out before the walk which seemed to help. You could try that as well as muzzle train. Eventually our pup grew out of it which could also be due to the methods we used I hope yours does as well.

@outlawingrace This is 10000 percent arousal biting and something my dog experienced at the exact same age. Key is working out triggers, not exposing them to the triggers and making life very boring until they have the mental capacity and maturity not to react! Our dogs biggest triggers were wide open spaces (grass in particular) and seeing other dogs on walks.

@outlawingrace Hello, you are not alone, I have absolutely experienced this too with my adolescent Aussie. I think you have already gotten some great advice, I just wanted you to know that someone else out there has been through exactly the same thing and knows it isn’t just “normal puppy behavior.”

We have been taking a break from walks entirely for a while, but some things that have helped:
  • Up/Down Pattern Game - you have to start it when you can see her tipping into overstimulation but before she’s totally gone over threshold. For me that was when he started pulling on the leash like a freight train and zig-zagging from side to side. Stop the walk, pull off the sidewalk and do several rounds. This helps mine calm down.
  • Treat scatter/“find it” - Same deal, has to be done before she turns into a demon to be effective but getting her sniffing in the grass is also calming.
  • For now we are just practicing giving me attention in the driveway and moving closer to the street. Along the lines of “look at that”/counterconditioning. When he looks at me he gets a treat.
  • When we do go for walks, they are very short. A few houses in each direction and then back home to keep things positive and successful.
  • When we get back home, I toss a handful of treats into the yard and say “all done” then release the leash so I can shut the gate, etc. Then I walk away (usually towards the door). This was recommended by a trainer and has been a total game changer. I’m not sure if she recommended it because walking back through the gate is a common trigger for dogs or what, but it was for us. If he’s focused on the treats, though, I’m not getting mauled.
  • I agree with the suggestions to try a harness. Mine always seems more reactive on a collar. I feel like it cuts off airflow and he panics.
  • We just started anxiety medication for separation anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder (he was CONSTANTLY going over threshold). If you’re seeing issues in other areas talk to a behavioral trainer or veterinary behaviorist (probably not a bad idea anyway). We haven’t gone for a real walk yet but when he is on trazodone his threshold is just so much higher, I bet we could go on a much longer walk than we’d been managing before we started.

@outlawingrace I hope you get through this! My cattle dog was like this. Me yelping made him worse. He got very frustrated on leash and would launch at me and bite me over and over and over. I have scars and had ripped clothes. His big triggers were being comfortable somewhere or we were somewhere we were off leash before (I think he felt he should be off leash) and being bored with routine. I saw a couple comments where you got good advice. Something that helped us was taking different routes, randomly turning around, or running, randomly doing commands (before he got aroused) and trying to teach some expectations like sitting at road crossings etc. he was a terror but he doesn’t do this anymore.