No hope for 8 month old Golden?đź’”

@thudomi1582 Will definitely do that, was looking for a link like that. Everything you google is “behavioral trainers” like no I want someone with a PHD in animal psychology! Thanks again!

@oscarwip Have you read the book/pamphlet MINE yet

My first suggestion is did you read this pamphlet/book yet MINE link at the bottom… The last incident with the shoe I’ll be curious if you offered a trade or distraction to get the shoe away?

Sounds like your boy is resource guarding across the board and whatever he perceives of value. Also sounds like he also escalated when he didn’t want to do something like getting into is crate/room (boarding facility).

Your first dog and sounds like what many will label a project dog and will teach you a lot. IMHO from the history you gave you have to make a tough decision because he may fall into management for life.

https://amzn.to/3rOh2Su

@xenliad We just started reading that book yesterday! No this is the first time I did not offer a trade with the shoe. He was dropping stuff for me all day, and I thought he dropped the shoe, but it was still within 9 inches or so of his face.

@oscarwip Behavior change and emotional response take time to change. Remember some dogs fall into management for life which is hard for professionals to accept too.

Also always keep in mind management will always fail so we have to triple check our environment always etc family or friends are over and nothing is around that your dog can get. You might have to trade or train for months before the emotional response of loosing something changes.

You might have to teach back away/up and a strong stay after that leave it. Or have your dog fetch something after he drops what he feels the need to guard.

Tough choices ahead…good luck…

@zhangyue I tried sending a video but can’t figure it out. Yes they break skin with blood at times. Sometimes just a cut, sometimes a small puncture if the situation is escalated (like yesterday)

@oscarwip So, there’s something called the Dunbar Bite Scale. Look at that and see if you can classify. The reason I say that is that it helps to determine the severity of the behavior.

@oscarwip I mean, expert opinions from people who have met and worked with the pup are probably better, but on the other hand, he’s also only 8 months old, which is peak adolescence. My boy was an arousal biter; I didn’t have a term for it until he was around that age, at which point I started training it, but he also just plain improved dramatically when he hit 13 months and started to mature. (Different breed, so ymmv.)

One thing you could do is try to muzzle train him and basically keep him muzzled when he’s not strictly supervised to prevent him from getting high value objects.

@prhasda You know what worries me here. I have a feeling that OP didn't provide us with complete information. I find it very strange that vet, behaviourist, and breeder
- all come with BE.

It's a super strange decision for 8 mo puppy with the only resource guarding issue. I mean, why don't you wait until the hormones decrease after the neutering and till the dog grows out of puberty disobedience. In the meantime, OP can work on trading training. Stop taking dog's stuff and let him space when eating. Muzzle train for walk to ensure that it will not take something wrong from the ground.

Or do I underestimate the situation? Maybe there's something else?