1.5 y/o prospective service golden retriever doesn't comfort me when sad

phit4lyfe

My 1.5 years old golden retriever doesn't seem to notice when I'm sad. Her behavior is indifferent and doesn't seem to acknowledge or care when I cry. I thought goldens are supposed to be sweet and comforting? Or is it because she's still too young to understand? ( I know they mentally mature at 3)

I wanted her to be my psychiatric service dog but I'm not sure if it's still doable if she doesn't acknowledge my feelings at all. She knows deep pressure therapy on command but doesn't know that's supposed to help me feel better or the fact that I need her to comfort me.

@phit4lyfe Psych work is one of the more challenging types of work you can ask a dog to do. Teaching a dog how to open your fridge, or help put on your sock is actually relatively simple (not that I'm saying dogs who do these services are "easy" to train, just that doing a task on command is different than alerting to a psychiatric condition). Some dogs who could do physical service tasks just fine are largely incapable of doing psych work for various reasons.

Goldens are known for being good family dogs since they're typically good natured and eager to please. However, that doesn't mean they can read or understand complex human emotions.

@phit4lyfe Training a dog to do specific commands as part of routine to become a service animal and wanting them to be empathetic to your needs are different. If she’s doing deep pressure therapy it’s because she’s been trained to look for cues that alert her to do the thing she’s been trained to do. While on some level she does recognize it makes you feel better, she doesn’t feel human emotion about it. Not all dogs are comfort dogs, and many dogs show comfort in ways that might not be the way we desire to feel it.

I also have a 1.5 year old and he does not come and comfort me when I’m upset. He doesn’t touch me or lick me or try to cuddle. However I have noticed he lies down in the same room and is quiet and watchful. Occasionally he will come lay near my feet, but not touching. I do think as the years go on our relationship will evolve and change. Maybe his response will look different as he gets older, maybe it won’t. Honestly if you want a specific reaction to a certain behavior, I would treat it like any other training exercise. If you want her to sit with you and get pets when you’re crying, then have a special treat available and give it to her when you need her to be still and close.

@pazuzil I've read somewhere that dog being quiet and watchful is a way of caring for you too. Unfortunately mine doesn't lol. She's her usual annoying self and sometimes bark for attention