Y’all, don’t use easywalk harnesses!

@cathya I wouldn’t necessarily call it a great design, 2 hounds are blacklisted gear by most of the rescues in my local area, and my rescue’s physio considers them one of the most poorly designed items on the market in terms of freedom of movement. Great marketing, but definitely not the best harness.

@cathya reactive dogs especially should always have a back up clip that connects their harness to a collar. heck when I don’t have a harness on I put 2 collars on my dog. and have it back up clipped there. my dog was attacked by a dog that broke through a collar, and i’ve had really old ones that the buckle loosened and fell off.

@sergeant98 Likewise! Not sure what the upset is about. I walk a variety of reactive dogs too, never had an incident despite lots of bouncing and leaping into the air when above threshold.

Although I agree it's very important to always have two means of grabbing the dog (i.e. two collars, a collar and a harness) in case one fails. As well as periodically checking the harness to ensure proper fit.

@cathya Quick fix: Clipping the leash into the harness & the collar (esp a martingale) will prevent dogs from stepping out of the harness. Easywalks can be hard to fit, especially for dogs with wide chests.

@godsorocks Clip the leash into the ring on the collar and the ring (or loop) on the harness. If that's too much of a stretch, use a carabiner to attach both rings, then clip the leash into one of the rings/loops (preferably harness).

Padded 'yoke' harnesses (like Ruffwear), fitted around the neck are more secure than strappy harnesses like Easywalks.

FWI, motivated dogs can chew through nylon straps - even 'husky proof' - in a heartbeat.