(X-post from r/dogs) How to clean a stinky collar?

moses123456

I gave my dog a bath yesterday and noticed that her collar smelled disgusting so i scrubbed it with soap and water, let it dry, and it still reeks. The collar was purchased in November so it's not super old and I don't want to have to buy a new one. By the way it's that nylon-y material, not leather. Any suggestions? Thanks!

@moses123456 We throw ours in the washer and then hang them to dry. It works pretty well on lots of kinds of collars, though I can't vouch for every brand and style. That has worked nicely for us, except for a pair of Boots & Barkley collars from Target that had reflective strips. The collars themselves were fine, but the reflective strips started to peel off after the second wash.

I'd also wash them with similar colors, at least at first, because you don't know how badly they might bleed.

@lygimom Well, my washer can use warm/cold water instead of hot and my dryer has the option for low heat or tumble dry (which i assumed was dry by tumbling but could be high heat!). Ive never had the plastic bit melt, hm, i never thought about that!! I suppose i could hang it to dry...

@moses123456 You could try soaking it in Nature's Miracle - if your dog swims or gets wet it could be mildew, pond scum, bacteria or a bunch of other fun things.

If it still smells after a nice soak, then you may want to get a new one. They make 'water proof' collars that can help with water related stink.