Would it be bad to switch groomers to save a little money?

normp

My 5 month old mini goldendoodle (please no hate, I didn’t know how unethical they were until after I got her) has been to the groomer 5-6 times now for free “puppy integration sessions,” where she just hangs out in the salon and gets used to the noises and other dogs. I’m really glad the groomer offers this because it made her first groom seamless! My puppy also LOVES the groomer now.

This groomer is great and does a wonderful job, but she charges $180 for my 17lb puppy. I’ve asked a few other doodle owners in my neighborhood how much they pay for their dog’s grooming at different salons, and they all pay closer to $100.

My puppy has gotten used to her groomer, and I know that the groomer really cares about her clients. She even offers free boarding. But I’m not sure if I can keep paying $180 (plus tip) every 6-8 weeks. I’m considering switching to one of the other groomers in the area.

Is this bad for me to consider? Going in, I knew grooming would be expensive, but I guess I accidentally chose the most expensive groomer in the area! I know my puppy feels comfortable with her current groomer, and I don’t want to cause her anxiety by switching groomers on her. The other groomers don’t offer puppy integration sessions.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I wanted to add that the only reason I’m even considering switching to a lower cost groomer is because my financial situation recently changed, and money has suddenly become tight. Otherwise, I would’ve never considered switching. I really and truly want to provide my puppy with the best care possible, and after reading everyone’s comments, it seems like the right thing to do is continue with this groomer as long as I financially can. She really is an incredible groomer, and I really don’t want to switch.

As for the doodle comments, I grew up with a doodle as a family pet, which is why I got one myself. I should’ve done more research before just assuming that my parents did theirs. My childhood doodle’s grooms at a boutique salon were $100 (in the same city), so I figured it would be around the same for mine. Thanks to everyone who commented and shared their thoughts!

@normp I'd like you to take a moment to pause and consider how you will feel if, after a change, your very young dog's behavior on the grooming table takes a turn for the worse after the effort you have put into trying to set her up for success. Your dog is approaching her teenage stage. Her behavior and coat will go through rapid changes, and she will need a skilled, kind, measured hand to guide her through them. Fear impressions made when a dog is young are an uphill battle to overcome later.

And then consider that if your girl is healthy you will have 12-15 years with her where she will be groomed many, many times.

You are always free to take your business where you must to survive. Financial responsibility is important, and you should never be shamed for trying to be prudent or sticking to your budgets.

I would vet any new groomers very carefully, and try to choose one that will not ruin your work.

An alternative you may want to consider is asking your current groomer if you can pay for her time to train YOU. You could ask her to teach you how to maintain and clip your dog's coat, how to bathe and dry her, etc. The cheapest long term solution for dog grooming is to do it yourself. You will bond with your dog and have the tools to tend to her health and wellbeing yourself. You will be familiar with her skin and muscles under her coat and cat spot hotspots, wounds, and lumps easily during the grooming process. And you will have created a working relationship with a groomer that you can fall back on if you get in over your head and need someone to step in for you. While the upfront cost of getting gear and a table that will save your body and budget long term will be a lot: you have a puppy. They will definitely pay for themselves long term.

@normp You used free service so I think you should use the groomer a few times before you switch. I believe you owe that to her for the 5 to 6 times of desentization services she supplied.

@normp I would probably continue to go the same groomer throughout puppyhood and adolescents. She has gotten use to her groomer and that is very valuable when grooming. I would not risk getting a bad grooming experience because that can scar a dog for life. I would wait to switch until the dog is at least one year old.

(Also, as a poodle girly I'm really happy that you learnt about how unethical doodles are. If you ever get another dog I highly recommend a poodle.)

@sirsteve This is so true, I don’t want to risk her having a bad experience just to save 80 bucks. And yes, in the future I will definitely not get another doodle! I would love to rescue :)

@normp Bad? No. You just can't expect the same care you've been getting. Cheap salons rely on volume, which means a chaotic environment and high pressure on the groomers to churn out clients.

The foundation your dog has had at your current salon may not translate to the more chaotic environment, so be prepared to need introductory grooms there. Honestly, every groomer is gonna do their best to give your pup a good experience, but the one you've been going to has more resources and time than the groomers who will charge less. Hope that makes sense.

@normp Personally if anyone offered me 5-6 FREE grooming puppy socialization sessions I'd expect to pay a premium price for the grooms later down the line. There is a reason groomers don't offer them, you have an extra dog to take care of on top of the ones that are on the table right then and those that are dropped off early.
A groomer that patient is well worth the price, especially for dogs with problematic coats like doodles. I briefly worked at an expensive salon as a bather and people would accept the price because they could not get the equal quality service elsewhere. We had bostons and pits coming in on a 2 week schedule.

So you could either pay her to teach you how to maintain the coat at home like another comment suggested, accept the cost and keep going to her for at least a couple of sessions or financially compensate her for her time during the free sessions because that would be the right thing to do if tou switch groomers now

@joseph_widner Yeah definitely! She is an incredible groomer. I think I am going try to continue with her as long as I possibly can. I don’t think it would be right to leave her after she’s shown all the care and love to my puppy. Thank you for your comment!!

@normp So you used the groomer to take advantage of free training and now you don't want to pay her prices which you likely knew before choosing to use this groomer to train your puppy FOR FREE. You are allowed to spend your money wherever you want but if I was that groomer I would black list you.

@thankfullness She actually never told me the price until after I finished the 5 desensitization sessions :( but I agree with what everyone is saying, I think it’s worth the extra $80 to stay with a groomer who I know my puppy is comfortable with.

@normp also, i would clarify with the groomer if the price is going by weight… will it fluctuate when she gets older+bigger or is this a flat set price for all her grooms.
if it’s a set price into adulthood, i think it’s good.

at my salon, we go by weight so while puppies/doodles may pay closer to what your neighbors are paying once they grow in size + change in coat & behavior prices increase more towards what you’re currently paying.

@normp Thoughts from your post and seeing your other replies:
  • As others have pointed out, you do owe the groomer at least a few paid grooms for their time and attention so far. Customers with your attitude will result in free services like this no longer being offered because people take advantage
  • You say you didn't know the cost going in but did you ask? You state you didn't know doodles were unethical either... How much research are you doing as standard regarding your pet? You have a dog with high grooming needs, it sounds like you may need to be more proactive
  • You describe "accidently" ending up with the most expensive groomer, but there could be reasons for their price point. Not being a corporate salon, years of experience, speciality with a particular breed, for instance. You could have started with a cheaper salon but have had to switch for them not being the best fit for your pup
  • As others have pointed out, this is likely not a good point to make a switch for your pup. Do what you can to support them as they have a long life of grooms ahead
Best of luck! And best of luck to your groomer who it sounds like does an amazing job

@normp To be honest, as a groomer myself, if a client came to me and had a private conversation saying hey, I like you. I like your shop, I like your style and your practices. I like everything about you. My financial situation changed and I am struggling to make it work to see you so often. I want you to be my groomer but frankly, it's a struggle. Can we do anything about this so that fluffy can keep coming here?

My response would be, oh my gosh, absolutely. Lets take her haircut shorter and instead of 6-8 let's try going 8-10. But, you'll need to brush and comb at home. If you can't, we can't continue the long length of time between services. I would also offer just the basic service. Bath and haircut and nail clip. No fancy extras.

As a dog owner, I think I could justify 5 grooms a year at that price.

@normp it would not be bad. your dog, your money, your choice. just vet any future groomers well and do your research.
personally, $180 is CRAZY for a baby that young, doodle or not!! im a groomer of 7 years now and i charge anywhere from 140-180 for BIG full grown doodles, think like bernadoodles or any of those large breed mixes. i would probably charge around 90-100 for a dog her size, full grown. now of course depending what area you live in and everything prices vary. and like others have said, i would wait until she's older to make the switch as to not disrupt any of the progress you have made with her.

@normp No, people leave groomers for all sorts of reasons and having a recurring expense that fits your financial budget is important. That extra $80 a month really adds up. You went to a groomer a few times - doesn’t mean you owe them anything..

@jakefromsf She has paid her once and the groomer supplied 5 or 6 free services to acclimate the dog to grooming, she owes a few grooms. There is an implied understanding when a groomer works with your dog for free that you will use her for grooming when the puppy is old enough to be groomed.

@ernestservant Grooming is an extremely difficult and skilled trade and dependent on many things like dogs size, behavior, coat type and frequency. $180 isn’t anything crazy. You get what you pay for and I’m assuming this a skilled grooming who sounds like she really cares about the training and well being of this puppy, not just the end result of a groom.

Back