WORKING 12 HOURS W/A DOG

@eagle777 OP look into actual dog walking companies in your city - not just someone from Rover. Find someone that carries liability insurance and can be held accountable if a theft occurs.

You can usually find actual local pet sitting services that have dog walking options.

@eagle777 What part of NV?

Are you only opposed to strangers in your home vs trusted references?

I know I am just a stranger on reddit but I have dogs and have needed overnight dog sitters here.

I am in northern NV but have a friend in Vegas who dog sits and I would trust her with mine if she lived closer.

Just saying...I do think the dog should have a break outside rather than fake grass inside....but I have multiple bigger dogs, so cleanup is a bigger issue

@eagle777 What about a dog door that goes to a small fenced enclosure?

I know predators are an issue with smaller dogs, but a decent sized enclosure outside the dog door could be somewhat safe

@vasily He’s a big baby . We have yet to see the trailer in person as we are still 8 hours away . I want to get a doggy door but again idk if I have to replace the whole door or what .

@eagle777 The sliding door dog door inserts are fairly reasonable.

Depending on your dogs potential for escape, it may still be wise to have a secure area outside the door though.

Sound like all of this is happening fast for you and it has to be stressful.

In a perfect world, you could have everything together before moving and starting a new job, but shit happens and not everything can be perfectly predicted.

If your dog has an indoor potty for a little bit while you work things out and set things up, it's not the end of the world as long as you correct things when you can.

@vasily That’s what I was thinking too however we haven’t seen the place yet. It’s a trailer made into two places ? I guess . And from what I seen on Amazon would only work on a screen door and I’m assuming we only have a front door

@eagle777 I’d definitely ask local vets for dog walker recommendations. Check the local humane society or local dog rescue groups and see who they’ve used or would recommend. The local animal shelter may have employees or trusted volunteers who would be glad for some extra cash. I’d never leave a dog outside or with access to outside — too many bad things can happen if you’re not close enough to keep an eye out. Good luck! (Amazon has a bunch of fake grass puppy potties, but be sure to read the comments. Puppies catch on quickly… some older dogs, not so much.) My hope for you both is a future job situation where you’re close enough to run home for lunch!

@jmacdona2 Thank you so much ! He’s four and trained . I. Moving where I no nobody and alone so hence my fear . Anyone can come off nice ya know ? I’ve been searching groups to no avail

@eagle777 That amount of time combined with the hours you’ll need to spend sleeping to simply refresh from working so long is simply too much for your dog to not only not have access to where he is trained to relieve himself (outside) but to also be without socialization even if it’s not every day. Look into Rover for pet sitting instead of boarding since you’re available to be with him part of the day. Call vets in your new area and ask if any vet techs there do overnight pet sitting in their home. Call groomers in the new area and ask the same. If possible visit some pet stores and dog parks around there and talk to people. Ask around. I found my dog sitter through a contractor at work who I knew had a dog and often travelled without them. Sitter is on Rover at one price but charges a completely different lower amount for clients outside of the app.

@eagle777 I personally would use the Rover app to hire a dog walker that can come in and walk him for about 30 minutes to an hour on the days you are working. It beats cleaning up any messes when you get home from a long shift. I used to work those shifts and I did exactly what I am recommending here.

@barney This isn't an ideal solution for OP's situation.

They're renting a trailer, so they have no control over things like fencing. They're not even sure they can change the door to accommodate a doggy door. And a dog that's lonely and has unlimited access outdoors for 14 hour stretches can escape or get stolen, which the owner won't know about until they get home. Dog doors also allow other animals to come in and out of residences.

Back